Followers

Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Fair Time


It is that time of the year again, time for the Country Fair at the end of the month. My husband is getting all of his entries ready to put into the fair. He has his photographs all enlarged and will be matting them, and he just finished his painting tonight for the acrylic category. He will be framing that one so it will be good to go. He has been entering the photography for a few years now. He hasn't one any blue ribbons yet, but he keeps on trying. I think he may have 2rd place and honorable mentions for his pictures. There is so much competition and some people are professional photographers, so that makes it really tough to win.

He just started painting last year and boy has he come a long way! I am very happy he decided to pursue it, because I always knew he had the talent. It does run in his family, as his grandmother and his great aunt were well known Impressionist painters. I think in the back of his mind he knew he would put his mind to it. His mom has a great deal of artistic talent, but she never really allowed herself to pursue it. It is hard to compete with ghosts. It is sad, she didn't try it at the very least for her own enjoyment.

So last year was the first time he entered a painting and he came in third place. He is still hoping for that big prize of the blue ribbon and a check for $10.00.

My best friend just started entering her paintings and thank goodness she paints in oil, so they aren't competing against one another. Our other friend is a long time blue ribbon winner in the baking and herbs categories. And me? I am not so interested in competing and every year they all bug me to enter something, but I never do.

When I get to the fair and see all the ribbons and the cooking and the arts and crafts, I am sorry that I didn't try. I don't have the drive for those ribbons, I guess.

And just think what I could do with $10.00 if I did!

Photo by the husband.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

2nd place, 3rd place and honorable mention for photos, toots.