Followers

Sunday, September 9, 2007

Under the Moon and the Stars





Yesterday we went to my niece's wedding and it was the most magical and moving ceremony that I have ever attended. My niece and her now husband have a deep and abiding love for one another and also of nature and the great out doors. They claim that they fell in love under the moon and stars as so much of their time together has been spent camping, hiking,and mountain climbing so they wanted to celebrate their union in nature.

They picked a spot nestled in the northeast hills of our state, an estate with 160 acres filled with sun flowers, English gardens, apple trees, tomato gardens, and a 100 year old barn for the reception.

They were married high on a hill top under the pergola with beautiful weather making for a picture perfect day. Little did we know that by late afternoon the whole area was under a severe thunder storm warning, and that all the areas around us had heavy rainstorms. For some miraculous reason, it never rained even one drop at the estate, which made for a wonderful evening in and out of the barn and walking around the estate guided by candles and torch lights.

The processional started down by the country cottage and was led by a bagpiper all the way up to the pergola. There is just something about bagpipes that fills my heart with reverence. It was a fairytale entrance, every young girl's dream, and it gave me the healing kind of chills up and down my spine.

The wedding ceremony was officiated by the groom's uncle and it was rooted in a Native American spirituality which included recognition of scared space, a candle ceremony to honor the elders, and a sand ceremony to recognize the influence of all the parents. It was so beautiful, moving, and filled with heart and soul.

Before the bride and groom exchanged their vows they spent a great amount of time just talking to one another about their love, relationship, and their future. And as they gazed into one another's eyes we noticed monarch butterflies fluttering about as if they knew how to make an appearance on cue.

After the ceremony, the bride and groom wanted a family and friends photo of everyone in attendance. As we were assembled on the hillside we all took a moment to witness the hawk that was soaring high in the clouds over our heads.

The rest of the evening was spent partying up a storm in the old barn, and walking the grounds in the glow of the candlelight.

The most enjoyable part of the evening was watching my sons and their cousins and how much fun they were having. They were out on the dance floor the entire night, having a ball. My aching joints have kept me from getting out on the dance floor the past couple of years, but as the night was coming to a close, I decided that I hurt anyways... so what's more pain? I got out on the dance floor for a fast dance with a couple of the kids, and then my husband came and the rest of the family came out and we danced and sang and had a ball.

I could see my husband's eyes get misty and I knew it was because the whole family was out on the dance floor together. My younger son lit up when he saw me out there and he came over to hug me and tell me he was so happy to see me have fun again. I didn't sit down until the wedding was over.

It was a feel good kind of day all around. Family, music, love, good food, nature, ambiance, hugs, kisses, connections, healing, candle light, dancing, crying, laughing, singing, unity, commitment, prayers,vows, sunlight, moonlight, stars, grateful, blessings... many, many blessings...

2 comments:

Andrew said...

That sounded like such a wonderful wedding. I am jealous! Mine was rather milquetoast. Thanks for sharing this moment with us and I am glad you got to dance.

Andrew

Lena said...

Andrew,

Thanks for the comment. I was jealous, too!

I was thinking that I wished I had your way with words to write about it. Maybe someday!