Followers

Thursday, January 1, 2015

Happy 2015


I have neglected this blog for so long, and I have missed writing here and also visiting my favorite blogs. I hope to get back to it because it is something I do enjoy and I miss hearing about everyone!

We spent the end of Sept. until Thanksgiving in a state of crisis mode. My 93 year old mother-in-law was hospitalized with an infection that was completely treatable, but then morphed into a series of life-threatening situations. It was so awful as far as the worry about her health and her spirits, endless trips to the hospital, constant phone calls from the hospital with often serious on the spot life or death decisions to make. And on top of all that, trying to get the day to day living tasks done. 

It is all a very long story and mostly unbelievable. After so many brushes with death and all of us prepared to let her go, she survived and is now living in an independent assisted living facility. It all feels like a bit of a dream that it ever happened, but now life is settling down some and it feels so much better all around.

To this I say, age is a factor in when serious health issues arise, but really, it is the human spirit that prevails. 

We had a wonderful Christmas Eve. I had my children and their wives here along with our first grandchild. My 89 year old mom, my 86 year old aunt, and my sisters and their families were also here to celebrate with us. My grandson in 11 months old now and crawling all over the place. He lights up a room with his charming smile and laid back personality. He was in the center of everything and we all felt so connected to him and to one another. 

Usually my sister does Christmas Eve, so it was a new tradition for us to host it here. I am hopeful that we will keep this arrangement for years to come as it worked out so well. 

Christmas day was much quieter, with my husband and I, brother-in-law, and niece, having dinner at the assisted living place with my mother-in-law. We had a delicious pork roast dinner and we were even allowed to bring a bottle of wine to the table. I was enjoyable not to be the one doing the cooking and no clean up was so nice! My mother-in-law was very pleased. After dinner we went back to her room to shower her with Christmas gifts.

New Year's Eve was spent in the movie theater watching, WILD with Reese Witherspoon. I had read the book and loved it. Cheryl Strayed is an absolutely fantastic writer. She melts my heart over and over again. I was reluctant to see the film because I didn't see how they could do it justice! But I was wrong. They did a descent job! I am glad I read the book first though, because I am not sure I would have been able to follow all of the flashbacks! 

So I wish you all a very Happy New Year filled with love and light! 



2 comments:

Forsythia said...

No wonder, with your mother-in-law's health crisis, that you found no time to blog. It's a testimony to your loving care that she is now in an assisted-living facility, and was able to enjoy a roast pork dinner and some wine. Life is wonderful in so many ways--how blessed your family is to have a rambunctious 11-month-old as another focus for your love and attention.

KathyA said...

So great to hear from you!

What a roller coaster of a fall you all had! Isn't the strength of the human spirit amazing?

Your Christmas and New Year sound lovely. What a gift and light those 11 month olds bring to us. Hug him for me.