Followers

Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Unconditional Love


When I was in 8th grade I came home from school one day and my dad asked me to go into the garage to get him a hammer. When I walked into the garage ...surprise... there was a puppy waiting for me. I was beside myself with happiness and shock. I named her Missy and she became my best friend and confidant for the next 14 years.

Growing up on a farm was the perfect place to raise a puppy and Missy had the run of the cornfields. She often accompanied me driving my dad's old Chevy up and down the hills leaving clouds of dust to be seen for miles.

When I left home and moved out of state after I got married, she moped around the house and didn't eat for 2 weeks. When ever we came home to visit, she would be out of her mind excited to see me. There was no better feeling in the world than being welcomed home by her.

Missy grew old and needed to be put to sleep. I put it off as long as I could, but there came a point when she was just suffering too much to let her go on. It was fitting that she was put to rest soon after the birth of my first child. I welcomed my son and said good-bye to my best friend.

Missy never really left my heart because over the years I have seen her rise up in my dreams. Once, after my second son's heart surgery, I dreamt that I was in the cornfield and there she was running up to greet me. I had my two sons with me and I introduced her to them. A dream that was deep and real and I question if it was in fact a dream at all.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

She was a good dog, wasn't she?