Followers

Saturday, July 4, 2009

They say it's your birthday



It was my birthday on Wednesday, July 1. I have always been happy to have a summer birthday. We are usually away on Cape Cod for my birthday, but this year we didn't rent a place and I was home.

It was sort of a double celebration as it was the first day of my husband's early retirement. I took the day off from work and we spent the day together. We went to the beautiful CT hills and took photos, had a quiet lunch, and poked around in antique stores. Later we came home and my husband baked a cake and my sons and future daughter in law came over to spend the evening with me.

When I arrived home from our outing flowers were being delivered to me from my job. The are just beautiful. Big lilies and roses with a very nice note letting me know that they appreciate me. If that wasn't enough, they also gave me a generous gift certificate for dinner at an Italian restaurant in town the next day.

My husband surprised me with a new laptop! My old one was falling apart and barely usable. I am hoping to get back to blogging now that I have this new machine to work with. The kids all chipped in and got me tickets to see Kathy Griffin. She makes me laugh, even with her foul language. I would never spend the money to buy myself tickets to see her in person, but the kids figured I would be pleased to get the tickets. And right they were!

Family and work all made my birthday very special. At times I felt overwhelmed with everyone's generosity, but I sure appreciated it. It is nice to have a day to feel special. Most of all I am feeling very grateful to be able to say that I am another year older! I will never complain about birthdays, I love my birthday and I hope they just keep on coming!!



7 comments:

Forsythia said...

Happy belated birthday. I LOVE Kathy Griffin. She is wickedly funny.

KathyA said...

Happy Birthday! So sweet of your husband to make you a cake. (What kind?) Your day sounds wonderful.

Lena said...

Forsythia: Cool that you like Kathy Griffin, too. Wickedly funny is a good description!

Kathy: He made a German Chocolate cake. He is a good in the kitchen!

Miranda said...

Happy Birthday!!

Cheryl said...

Another summer birthday. They were the best growing up. I was always able to have outside parties. It's nice to have your birthday celebrated in a special way. Happy birthday to you. May you have many, many more.

Diana LaMarre said...

Happy Belated birthday. It sounds like you had a simply wonderful day with many loving people helping you celebrate.

I have never been that excited about my birthday. I don't even have a cake anymore. Maybe because it's in the dead of winter. I never really gave that much thought.

How great that your husband is good in the kitchen. I always admire that in a man.
I hope he enjoys many happy years of retirement.

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

I've been really behind on reading blogs. Belated happy birthday.