Followers

Tuesday, November 27, 2012

A Quiet holiday

Thanksgiving was a bit weird this year. My 91 year old mother in law insisted that she would order the entire meal from a local market and we would all eat at her home. I really, really, wanted to cook this year. I LOVE cooking Thanksgiving dinner and I was looking so forward to it. There was no arguing with her as she started to get aggressive saying she "staked her claim on Thanksgiving" and that was what she was doing and we were expected to be there.

She is 91 and very stubborn, there was no use trying to change her mind. I was so disappointed and it felt so weird to not be cooking anything for the holiday.

Both my children spent Thanksgiving with their in-laws so it was just me and my husband and his brother plus my mother in law. It was a very quiet Thanksgiving. I did take a break in between the meal and dessert to stop over to see my side of the family. Love being with my family and I am glad I had a chance to see them for a little bit.

I am doing a surprise birthday party for my husband in a couple of weeks. It is at our house and I am trying to do stuff without him noticing. lol So that will be a fun night. It is his 60th!

Tomorrow I go to see my surgeon and have my port taken out! I will be hurting for a couple of days. Then I hope for a long stretch of time with no procedures or pain or people poking and prodding at me!

5 comments:

Maria said...

Happy belated Thanksgiving, Lena! I am so sorry to hear that you were not able to cook. If it's any consolation, I had Thanksgiving here & my family did alot of the cooking & it was still exhausting..lol. Hey, there's always next year. Hopefully you'll be able to spend it with your sons.
I was surprised to hear about your job but you know that in this instance, the choice was made for you. You probably wouldn't have left on your own & maybe it's exactly what you need at the moment. A little respite to just chill out & enjoy life. You've earned it!!
Planning your son's wedding also sounds very exciting! Enjoy every stressful minute..lol..it only (hopefully) happens once.
Anyway, think of you you often. Hope you're recovering nicely from everything. Stay upbeat & strong.
Hope the winter isn't too harsh. It was snowing here today~pretty but I am so not a fan of winter weather.
Take care & keep updating. I look forward to hearing from you.
Hugs,
Maria

Forsythia said...

Oh, old ladies can be SO stubborn. Probably all you could do was humor her. Glad to hear that the port will soon be gone and that you are looking forward to a couple of good frolics. Best wishes for the best holiday season ever.

Josie Two Shoes said...

Ah yes, not the first time you've mentioned dealings with this stubborn "lady". The good news is, you will outlive her and can have all the Thanksgiving dinners at your home you want! I do detest command appearances, I'm glad you got to sneak away to see your family for a bit too. I am so thankful you are now feeling good enough to throw a surprise party for your hubby, back to the business of living! Port going out, one more stepstone to normalacy. YAY!! Have a beautiful Christmas season, and be sure to hand a stocking for MIL, I think she needs some sweets! :-))

Heidi said...

Having the port taken out was a real milestone for me. Even my kids were excited on that day. We had a little celebration! So congratulations on having your port removed. I pray you will never need it again.

Cheryl said...

I hope you staked your claim for next Thanksgiving. I'd do it in writing.

I'm sure it's wonderful having that port out. One less reminder.

So, will you get away with surprising your husband?