Followers

Saturday, January 12, 2013

Spa day

Hello dear blogger friends. I am so not motivated to blog lately and yet I miss it.  I hope I can get back into the swing of it.

Things have been going well. I am still at home recovering from all the cancer fallout. My PCP wants me to stay home and rest and be as stress free as possible. I think it is working. I look good, not in the beautiful kind of way, but in a healthy and relaxed kind of way. lol 

It has been a good week. I enjoyed a day at the spa on a gift certificate from my husband. I never went to a spa before and I was looking forward to it. I got there early so I could swim in the salt water pool and enjoy the hot tub before my appointments. When I checked in I was chatting with the director of the spa and during the course of the conversation it  I brought up that I was a 2 time cancer survivor and recently finished my treatment   But as I was telling her, I began to cry. I don't cry when I talk about that ever, and I talk about it often.. So it was a surprise to me to have those emotions choke me up. After she comforted me I went off into the pool. While swimming  I was thinking that I could have had that conversation with that woman without even mentioning the cancer, but somehow I felt compelled to. I wondered why, but never really found an answer. 

After my swim I was relaxing in the waiting/lounge  room in my white robe by the fireplace, sipping water with lime and taking in how beautiful the room was and how cozy I felt. It occurred to me that when they called me to come into the appointment how it was going to all feel good unlike all the zillions of medical appointments where I was poked, pricked , and filled with chemo. I was going to have a feel good kind of day!  I filled up with tears. Again.  Oh how I wanted to just sob my eyes out, but knew it would not be an appropriate place to do so. Damn. I hate when I get in touch with my feelings like that and am not at liberty to let it rip. 

The beautician came and brought me into a private room to start the facial and she said that her director had told her I was a cancer survivor  When I tried to answer her, I choked up again. She just hugged me as tears rolled down my face. And that was it for the tears. I do not know why a day at the spa could trigger all of this emotion, but it did.  

I had a great day! Facial, hand and foot massages, mini pedi, make up and a free lunch.I was so grateful to have had the day there. 

An update on my MIL. She went to court and nothing happened. Not even a fine. 



6 comments:

Josie Two Shoes said...

What a beautiful post, Lena! I have wondered how you were doing. What a lovely gift from your husband... a little pampering is good for the soul! It sounds like this was just the release your heart needed, a place you could let the tears flow, and come home feeling cleansed. I'm delighted to hear you are doing well, my prayers are always with you. As for MIL, I never cease to be amazed at how our legal system works/doesn't work. Sad that she is not only a danger to herself but others. Heartbreaking. Lord, please give me common sense when I reach that age! We struggled with the driving issue with my Dad too.

Maria said...

Happy New Year, Lena! You're always on my mind..so good to hear from you. What a lovely, relaxing
day. I agree with Josie...you've been through hell & I'm sure you're still raw from it all. The tears were just the release you needed. Holding it all in would have done you no good. Let it out
wherever & whenever~I'm sure there will always be someone there to give you a shoulder to cry on & a warm hug. Keep checking in if only to say hi. We're always thinking & praying for you.
P.S. I don't have an Instagram account yet but I do follow all of my favourite bloggers. As soon as I get my new phone I will give you my link. If you have one, I would love yours too. Take care & enjoy your time off. Rest & Relax.

Forsythia said...

Lena, I'm so glad you had a wonderful day at the spa and some TLC from the staff. Tears of sorrow, tears of joy, maybe both at once. Sometimes it's all you can do at the moment.

Sorry that they didn't throw the book at your MIL when she went to court. Does this mean she will try to keep driving? I took an AARP Driver Safety Course at the Senior Center and all I can say is, when the time comes for me to stop driving, I hope I have enough sense to quit. I just received a follow-up letter from AARP thanking me for taking the course. They mentioned an online seminar for people with relatives who should not be driving, You might want to take a look at it: www.aarp.org/weneedtotalk. Good luck.

Cheryl said...

Your post brought tears to MY eyes! I'm so happy that it was the perfect day for you, tears and all. I hope you can do it again soon. You needed every bit of that pampering.

Lena said...

Thank you everyone for your sincere comments. I so appreciate all of you sticking around for me!

Maria.. can u send me your email so I can send u the link? I don"t see one on your blog. Thanks!

Forsythia- thank you for the link. I will take a look!

Maria said...

Lena~you can reach me at MariaGfromSI@aol.com. Send me yours as well, if you don't mind. Thanks!