Followers

Friday, March 15, 2013

Challenge

Here I am. I am here. I am doing the best that I can. I am still in a great deal of pain from residual side effects of the chemo on my joints and the neuropathy  in my hands and feet. I am wearing slings on both my hands to help with the pain from arthritis in my hands that became excessive after the chemo. BUT all of this is better than where I was. 

This month I have a mammogram and a colonoscopy to look forward to so they can be sure I am cancer free. It has been one year since my colon cancer diagnosis and two years for the breast. Hard to believe time went by so quickly.

To catch up with the MIL issues. It is official, she retook her driving test at age 92 and passed it. She now has her license back and there is nothing we can do. Her doctor was not opposed to her taking the test as he was sure she would not pass it. But to everyone's surprise she did. Now we have to back off and let it be. I can not worry about her because it will drive me crazy. They did not even give her any  restrictions. She is even allowed to drive interstate highways. And she will. She went into the test with a great deal of confidence and stayed focused and passed. It is out of our hands now. 

I am seeing my Feldenkrais practitioner (n.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feldenkrais_Method ) for all the pain in my body. We work on pain control and range of motion issues. She is also a big believer of the law of attraction. She is the most knowledgeable person on this subject that I have ever met. We often talk about it during and after our sessions. She says she has had people coming to her for 10 years looking for miracle cures, but they don't ever seem to change the way they think so nothing changes in their bodies. I know I try to make those changes in my thought patterns, but it does not come easily for me. I can see that I am changing in many ways, but still want to make more permanent changes.

My practitioner talked to me today about taking a 30 day challenge. She asked me to write every day on my blog about 10 things that I appreciate. They need to be different every day. This is an exercise  to raise my vibration and be more positive in my thinking to make an impact on my body and my health.

So today is the day that I begin. It will feel good to be writing on my blog again. Since I am not working right now I have to find things that give me purpose and this will be perfect for me. 

So here I go... 10 things I appreciate today. 

1. All of my family. For. Everything.

2 My practitioner. She has been a huge support to me before and during my illness. I always feel good after a session; from the work that we do to the conversations we have.

3 My blog readers. You all have been so supportive and caring. I can not tell you what it has meant to me.

4. Music. I do not know what I would do with out it. Inspiration all around.

5. My health. Even though things have been challenging, I do appreciate the things that are going well.

6. All the bloggers out there that tell their stories. We belong to each other.

7. Art therapy. The hospital offers it for free and it has been a huge means of support for me as well as a great creative outlet.

8. The drive my husband and I took to the beach tonight after our diner at our favorite fish restaurant.

9. How my husband helped me with the car today and I made it to my appointment right on time.

10. The sensitivity of my youngest son.  He suggested a song that he thought was a good one for a mother and son dance at his wedding in the fall.  I cried when I listened to it. It is called I'll Catch You. By the Get Up Kids. It is so emo. Like me.

Don't worry I'll catch you. Don't. ever. worry.

5 comments:

Josie Two Shoes said...

It's Lena! I see you in my reader list and my face lights up, that's a blessing for today! You are so right that making a list of them affects our sense of wellbeing. I did the 30 days of thankfulness thing on Facebook in November, and I loved how many people started saying something good for a change, and after it ended, I noted that I wasn't thinking as hard about things that are going right. I'm delighted you are going to use your blog for this. Ten different ones each day will take some effort, and an appreciation for the little stuff which does matter!

Sad to hear about your MIL, someone is going to get hurt, and then maybe common sense will prevail. But you are right there is a time you have to put it in God's hands and let go of it.

Will be praying for an all clear from the one year follow-up tests, how wonderful that you've come this far since then when life was hitting on you really hard.

Love that your son has chosen a wedding dance song for the two of you, that made my mother's heart smile!

So glad to see you back among us, welcome home! :-)

Forsythia said...

Lena, what a beautiful post. Like Josie, I rejoice to see you back. You are so upbeat and positive, and today, I feel so nasty and edgy. Both my husband and I are retired and we are having computer and e-mail problems. We share a computer. I guess sharing a bed with a snorer is easier, especially when one of us (me!) is deaf in one ear. :-)

Wow, I can just see the look of triumph on your MIL's face when she passed her driving test. YIKES. Remind me not to drive through CT anytime soon. Yep, as you say, you'll have to let it go, but dang it, that can be tough!

KathyA said...

Lena! So good to hear from you!!

I just love the 10 things you appreciate -- so positive; so telling!

Having the same issue w/ FIL only luckily he's limited his driving to the grocery store only 1/4 mile away from his home. And you are right in that you have no control over this -- it's you MIL's journey -- (we can all just pray for everyone else on the road!) ;)

Blessings, Lena!

KathyA said...

should be 'your' -- sheesh!!

Lena said...

What a great welcome back this has been! Thank you!!!! It feels so good to be here again.

Hugs!