Followers

Saturday, September 27, 2008

Rainy weekend

It has been rainy here all weekend. Some big Nor'easter hit our area and flood warnings are in effect all over. Despite the rain, we got up early this morning to go to the fair for a little while. Most of the parking lots were closed due to the mud, but we found one paved lot that they opened the last minute. There were not many people there his morning, which was kind of nice as we didn't have to fight the crowds or wait in line for anything.

So as far as my photos go, I didn't win any ribbons. But that is OK, so many of the photos were taken by professional photographers so it was hard to compete with them. But I thought mine stood up well with them. My husband won one blue ribbon for a photo and one blue ribbon for his acrylic painting, so he was happy.

We had time to look at our favorite exhibits, have a Gyro for lunch, and then make it back to the shuttle bus before it poured. Although it was very soggy, it was warm out so it wasn't so bad walking around.

It has been a lazy afternoon. I watched Michael Moore's free down load movie, Slacker Uprising. I thought it was very inspirational.

I finally finished reading Barbara Walter's book, Audition. It is very long, almost 600 pages, but enjoyable. So much history between all the historical events and presidents that she has covered in her career as well as just her history in the news business. It was a good read.

I was so sorry to read that Paul Newman passed away, it brought tears to my eyes. He lives in our state, and he just seemed to be a really good guy. My cousin who used to teach race car driving knew him from the car races. It is good his daughter is involved in his food company which produces so many organic products and donates the money to The Hole in the Wall Gang camp. Paul founded the camp for children who are fighting cancer.

3 comments:

Cheryl said...

I thought your pictures were winners.

It's been so rainy here too. We did need it. At least it wasn't snow!

Sona said...

Glad your husband did well. And good for you for entering, evein if you didn't win!

Patty said...

I try and avoid the news and papers, so I didn't hear that Paul died until yesterday. I also got a pang in my gut and a tear in my eye at the news.

Funny how I felt like I knew him even though we never met.