Followers

Sunday, September 14, 2008

Reunion



My dad has been doing well with his recovery and they are just starting to phase out all of the at home services. I heard that he has been sneaking into his garden lately and picking vegetables. He isn't supposed to be doing that as he is very unsteady on his feet and he could fall ( which happened before) and break bones. But he is tired of sitting in the chair all day long and wants to feel useful. Who can blame him?

Today it was my aunt's 90th birthday and she and my dad are the only two left out of the 5 siblings. My aunt is recovering from a serious stroke, and dad saw her last summer, but it has been a while. So it was a great day to see them reunited for the afternoon. Everyone was hoping he would feel up to going and that my aunt would be well enough to attend her own birthday party, but they both made it.

Although my aunt has lost her speech for the most part, it was obvious that she recognized all of us and by the radiant smile on her face. She looked better than she has in ages and it seemed that having this party to look forward to and having the love of all of the family there energized her and lifted her spirits up.

There was lots of picture taking today, but my favorite is the one above. Just a baby brother brother with his older sister.

5 comments:

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

I'm so happy to read of events like this. And that photo is so sweet.

Moohaa said...

Sweet photo! I'm glad you had a good time.

Diane Vogel Ferri said...

beautiful shot. I love the older folks - my dad's 85 and dad-in-law is 88. It's hard to see them lose all the things they love. Dad fell on the bowling alley just last week - but he won't give up.

jAMiE said...

I am so glad your father is doing so well in his recovery. I loved the shot too..and glad they enjoyed their visit together.

Cheryl said...

That is a wonderful photo, as in a picture says a thousand words. I'm so glad your dad is getting to enjoy some of his daily routines again, even if he does have to be really careful. You knew it was right to keep his garden.

Thank you for your kind words on my blog. I really appreciated them :)