Followers

Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Meet the parents

On Sunday my husband and I were invited to attend a tasting of the wedding menu at the facility where we are having my son's wedding in October. I have been looking forward to this for awhile especially because we were going to meet his future in-laws. He has always said wonderful things about his fiance's parents, so I knew we would like them, and I was exactly right! I felt so comfortable with them and we had a great time! It is a good feeling to know that your child is being accepted into a warm and loving family, and that they consider him a part of that family already. We also feel the same about his fiance. How lucky for our both families.

The hotel hosted 150 people for the tasting set up like a mock wedding, complete with photographers and a DJ. We all enjoyed sampling everything from appetizers, soups, salads, entrees to 7 different wedding cakes! It was a bit much, but it was sure fun to taste test and talk about what we are going to pick out for the big day.

When wedding plans started my son and his girl talked about a small, simple wedding, but now the plans have grown. I am happy about that. It is hard to have a small wedding with a big Italian family! We aren't going crazy though, especially in these tough financial times.

At the tasting, we sat at the table with another couple who happened to be lesbians. Our state passed a law this summer recognizing gay marriages and many folks from out of state are coming here to get married. They were a lovely couple and we had such a great time with them! It was interesting as the gay women traded their proposal stories with my son. Seems the women both proposed to one another with rings at different times. It was very sweet.

It is good to live in a state that recognizes the rights of gay people to get married. I hope many more states follow suit and soon!

6 comments:

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

Oh, I'm so glad you like your son's future in-laws. And you are lucky living in a state that honors all marriage.

Forsythia said...

Sounds like a lovely day for all. Brings back pleasant memories of when we were helping plan our daughters' weddings and receptions. I had to remind my husband to "please stop referring to the wedding guests as 'plates.'" He, too, an envisioned simple, small weddings, but after all was said and done, he was delighted with the way they eventually turned out.

Andrew said...

That sounded like so much fun! I am envious of all the good food!

I think I live in the last state that will ever adopt gay marriage. I think is is such a shame. I should live in Massachusetts.

KathyA said...

What an ingenious idea to have the tasting for so many (and so diverse a group!) at one time! And how joyous it must be to you to see your son so loved. That makes such a difference, doesn't it?
Go Massachusetts!

Diane Vogel Ferri said...

Sounds like a fun, uplifting and loving day.

Cheryl said...

I was afraid you were going to say you didn't like the in-laws. Glad to hear it went so well. I would have loved to try all the food since I love food!