Followers

Saturday, February 20, 2010

Penguins and sharks and whales, oh my!




We stopped off at the marine life aquarium on our little get away this week. I hadn't been there since my boys were little. The facility has grown so much! Now they have a huge outdoor area built around a marsh, where they have the Beluga whales, penguins, and sea lions.

Because it was school vacation week, there were many, many families and children. The pool were we stayed was packed full of kids from early morning until late at night. We did find one morning of down time and we were able to take a nice long swim.

I forgot many people go away with their kids on vacation. As a kid growing up we never really went anywhere, let alone during school vacation. I don't believe anyone did. A school vacation meant some time to go over a friend's house and maybe a sleepover, or go to a movie. Life was slower paced back then and parents didn't feel like they had to entertain the children for a week.

I don't remember taking my kids anywhere either. Maybe out to lunch and to the mall. Now I know families that go to Florida or cruises without fail every vacation. The world has become smaller now and people are so much on the go. I admire that in someways, but because of my fear of flying and no interest in cruises, here we stay. Maybe someday that will change for me.



9 comments:

Forsythia said...

My grandson would have loved that shark! At one time, that was ALL he was interested in. He got in trouble in kindergarten for trying to leave during Circle Time, saying, "I'm not a boy who likes books on penguins."

Lena said...

forsythia that made me laugh right out loud. I love the cute and honest things kids say!

KathyA said...

We love aquariums.
We took a family vacation each summer for a week -- usually to the beach, but we didn't do as much family travel as I see with parents these days. Since I've retired from teaching, I really enjoy traveling in the 'off' seasons! :)

Lena said...

KathyA As a kid growing up, we only took one summer vacation down at the shoreline. That was it.

When my kids were growing up we did take summer vacations to the shore or to upstate New York in the summer.

We took them to Disney world once. The other school vacations we stayed put.

性感的我 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jamie said...

That looks like great fun...and I don't remember going very much as a child, and I was mostly too poor or too busy trying to support everyone to take my kids much. However, they have far out traveled me since...you are right, the world has gotten much, much smaller. Have a great Sunday. Back to work for you tomorrow! :)

Lena said...

Jamie, Yes, back to work tomorrow. This week flew by like a vacation week usually does.

Diane Vogel Ferri said...

We used to have an aquarium AND Sea World in Cleveland - but have neither now. I miss them!
Lena, thanks for your comments on my blog. I appreciate them so much. What song did you and your son dance to????

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.