Followers

Friday, July 9, 2010

Changes?

I am still getting settled back home after a nice and relaxing vacation. We set out to spend a week on cape cod, and to our surprise the owners of the house we rent offered us 4 extra days for free because their house was not rented for the next week. We could only stay 3 extra due to previous commitments, but those extra 3 days were like icing on the cake. How nice was that?

I also enjoy having the rest of this week home and getting stuff done around here. Although with this intense heat, I am not doing all that much.

My mother decided to move into a senior apartment building to be with some of her relatives. She is too lonely in the house now that dad has passed away and wants to be around people. So we are in the process of helping her clear out the house while she waits for an opening.

My parents built their house after they married and lived there for over 60 years. It is the house we all grew up in and where we continue to have Sunday dinners on a regular basis. I am so sad about letting it go and have been thinking about buying it. My husband and I made out our list of pros and cons and they come out just about even. It wouldn't be my dream house by any means, but I believe we would be happy with it.

So we are working through this issue right now and trying to make a decision soon. I know that part of the reason I want to buy it is that I can't bear to lose it right now. Too soon. I feel my father's presence when I am there and I find a great deal of comfort from that. I am not sure if that in itself is a reason to uproot and start all over in a new town, but it feels right to me. My husband seems to be on board and I didn't know if that would happen. Still many things to figure out after discussions with family members, but we are heading in that direction for today.

4 comments:

Forsythia said...

Your mom has made a wise decision. Mighty spunky of her. Best wishes to you and your husband as you two wrestle with making a very important decision.

Have you included on your list of "cons" the fact that moving is considered a major stressor? Just asking, but it seems to me you've had more than your share of grief this year.

KathyA said...

What a strong woman your mother must be to have arrived at this hard decision so soon after your dad's passing. Good for her! My mom lives in a very active community for seniors and it's been wonderful for her.

That's one big decision! Sleep on it; pray/meditate on it. I'm sure you'll make the right decision for you.

That extra time at the beach was a real blessing!!!

Sona said...

I understand your emotional attachment to the house - but my advice is to look at it as objectivly as possible.

A house is a major investment - and an older home can be a major expense depending on its condition.

Ask yourself if you would buy it if you were looking at it for the very first time.

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

Wait on the decision until you really know. The certainty will come to you.