Followers

Saturday, July 17, 2010

Summer Saturday

So the heat wave around here has not let up. I don't know if there is even any rain in sight. But this has been the first enjoyable hot day I have had all summer. Our pool has been giving us headaches and even though the water isn't crystal clear yet, I had to give in and go in it today. Finally all the algae seems to be disappearing.

Moral of the story: Don't open your pool just before u leave for vacation, extend your vacation, and have no one back home looking after your pool.

Now I am relaxing and drying off on the deck and the heat is bearable enough to sit out for awhile.

We are going to go to the next step for my parents house and will have it appraised. While in our heads we have it all renovated and redecorated, we are still not 100% sure what we will do.

I think Sona asked if it was a house we would buy if we did not have the emotional attachment to it and I would say probably not. But that would still depend on what is out there. I know ranch houses are hard to come by and that is the number one attraction of this house for us. Even though we would probably finish off the attic, the main living area and master bedroom would be downstairs.

There is a huge basement with big windows that would be perfect for my husband's art studio. Great lighting. When I lived home I had so many indoor plants down there and there is plenty of room for me to still do that, plus a workout area. And a pool table would fit fine for when the kids come over.

We can add on the extra bathroom and laundry room that we would need.

The only 2 drawbacks: It is a longer commute to my work. But hopefully I will retire from my present job in a couple of years so I don't want to make that a factor since it is not long term.

The other concern is that it is a very high traffic street. The house if far back enough away from the street so that is good. Unless there are plans to widen the street which we should look into.
It is just hard to get out of the drive way at 5:00 P.M. due to the heavy traffic. Always has been... but we have all managed it all of these years.

Presently we are helping mom sort her things and working on our house to ready it for the market. We want to move either way, so it is good motivation to get things done.

On a side note. I made the mistake of getting involved in FarmVille on Facebook. I am now addicted! I have trouble with working on the computer for a limited time and then shutting it off and walking away. Email, blogs, and Facebook took up so much time. I avoided FarmVille for a long time because I knew I would be sucked in. Bingo. I need to stop and do more useful things with my time, but those gifts keep coming. And I just got my harvester and tractor!




7 comments:

Forsythia said...

It's been hot here, too. We thought of going to the zoo this weekend, but opted for The Karate Kid at an air-conditioned theater.

Debra said...

I've enjoyed visiting your blog this morning by way of Forsythia's blog. I will be back to visit again soon!

Blessings,
Debra

Diane Vogel Ferri said...

Lena, thank you for your lovely comments and advice on my post about my son's wedding. I am hoping to have a tear-free day as well and certainly hope i can savor every moment as you suggested. My son chose our song (one I had played for him years ago) and I do NOT play it in the car!!! it's called "Better" by Toby Lightman and it's about a son making his mother's life better. I'll put the lyrics on the blog sometime soon.

KathyA said...

I'd love to see photos of the two houses and am very interested in the changes you would make to your new/old home.
The heat continues here as well -- but we have no pool in the yard. My husband kiddingly commented yesterday that if I were any kind of woman, I would have been out there digging with a table spoon! He's sleeping alone, now. :)

whateveryouwantittosay said...

I remember when I was in the 4th grade and my parents (I guess, "we") moved into a house with a pool... I had visions of endless lemonade a pool parties all summer long. When we removed the covers, we saw- a giant swamp. It looked like someone filled the pool with wheatgrass! Apparently the previous owner felt NO need to upkeep the pool.

It took us literally MONTHS to whip the pool into shape. But it was well worth it.

Algae=not fun.

Jamie said...

How wonderful to be thinking of buying the house where you grew up...That would be the coolest thing, ever!

I avoid farmville like the plague, like you...I know that I would be sucked in.

You sound good. Your life sounds good. Keep on with that program.

Hugs, friend. :)

Cheryl said...

I've been a Farmville addict twice. I don't know what it is about that mindless activity that's so addicting. It's been a very long time since I played, and I never visit.

My parents still live in their rancher. I wonder what will happen when the time comes? I don't want to live there, but I'd love for someone in the family to have it.