Followers

Saturday, July 31, 2010

The Sun

A few years ago in a Food Co-op in Vermont, I bought my first copy of The SUN magazine. I stayed up all night and read it cover to cover. My favorite section in the magazine is called, Readers Write. Every month the editors select topics for readers to write in about. Any essay that gets published receives a free 6 month subscription to the magazine. It was my goal to write an essay for it, but I never did until last month.

The topics never resonated with me, until this summer. So while I was on vacation, I wrote an essay about it and I have mailed it in! I feel so good that I accomplished something that I wanted to get done, whether it gets published or not. They receive so many entries and the competition is tight, but it is exciting waiting to hear if I get in or not. The topics are broad based in order to give room for expression and they look more for thoughtfulness and sincerity over writing style.

If I don't get it published in the magazine, I can post it to my blog anyways! Now all I have to do is sit tight until March. LOL


6 comments:

KathyA said...

How exciting! I'm so glad for you that you've done that -- putting it out there takes strength!
Cheryl put me on to that magazine...I have several back copies downstairs waiting to be read.

Carol said...

Hi!
I love that magazine, I just put a long quote in my blog from 'The Dog-Eared Page' in the latest issue. I also read it from front to back. So glad that othrs are turned on to it as well.

Jamie said...

I have never even seen that magazine, let alone read it, but you can bet I will be looking for it now! Yea for you, writing and crossing something off of your lifetime "to do" list! Keep us posted, okay?

Hope your week is going well. Hugs, friend. :)

Mike said...

Hi Lena! Thanks for stopping by... maybe I'll post something soon. I think I've read SUN interviews online before, and found them really insightful. Good for you, entering your writing! Good luck!

Mike

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

That's really exciting. I used to get that magazine but I let my subscription lapse. I hope you get in!

To answer your question on my blog, it usually takes about three weeks to hear back. It might go a little faster this time because the agent already read the script. But this particular actor is really busy, so that complicates things.

Cheryl said...

I have a client who gives me her issues of The Sun magazine. I'm really way behind on all my reading. It's a great literary magazine. I hope you get published!!