Followers

Saturday, November 13, 2010

Saturday update

This week was a short work week and I loved it. No work on Veterans' day so I made time to go down to sign up for pool membership at the physical therapy facility in town. When I walked into the pool area and saw that it was completely handicapped accessible with a ramp so you can just walk into the pool, I was delighted. Easy in and easy out. So I spent an hour or so of my day off there and I loved being in the water. The warm water felt good on my very painful joints. Everyone there was handicapped in one way or another. We were all over 50, some well over. It reminded me of the movie Cocoon, where all the elders were swimming in the pool. I was laughing to myself and also thinking about how old I am now, and although I don't feel it on the inside, I sure look it on the outside.

The other day at work, I had an incoming text message from my boss during a meeting with a young director. She was astonished that the boss would be texting me and that I knew how to text. So she asked me if my children had taught me how. I have to say I was a wee bit offended by that. I mean, how hard is it to learn how to text? So I told her no, that I had taught myself. She said she taught her mom. I guess in that moment, I realized how she saw me as an old woman. Blah! Oh, well. I am old enough to be her mom, so that is that. Whippersnapper!

Later we took in some musical theater, How to Succeed in Business without Really Trying." We both enjoyed it so much! I found it to be my favorite among the series.

My husband's dad is now in a residential facility geared for adults with Alzheimer. It is a very nice setting and word of mouth has been excellent about the care people receive there. It was hard to make that final decision, but all things hard are necessary and it is a good thing for the family.

Between all the work with his dad and his injuries, no work got done on the house for a couple of weeks. Since my husband is still recovering and in a lot of pain, we decided to hire out for some help. I am thankful he agreed to do that because there was no way he could do it all alone. I don't think he realized the toll it was taking on him because... he isn't getting any younger either!!

Later this afternoon, we are hoping for a get a way to the shoreline and a fish dinner!

4 comments:

Forsythia said...

Yum, shoreline fish dinner. Hope you get your get-away this weekend.

KathyA said...

One time, one of the young teachers at the school where I taught came up to me as I watched the school below -- we were on the third floor. She said, "You know, you're old enough to be my mother!" "Come a little closer to the railing," I said!

Warm water is good for what ails us!

Lena said...

LOL - Kathy!

Cheryl said...

I'm realizing how much older I am than most of the people I work with, but I don't feel old. Hopefully I'm an inspiration to what a 50-something person can be like.

Hope you got away to the shore. Happy Thanksgiving.