Followers

Friday, November 26, 2010

Still Thankful, but exhausted!

Another Thanksgiving under our belts. Last year was a hard Thanksgiving for our family. This year it was a back to normal kind of holiday. Well, kind of normal despite it being the first Thanksgiving without my dad.

I had 11 people at my house for dinner. My mother and in-laws and a couple of my aunts, as well as, my kids, niece, and brother in law. All 5 of our elder crew are all well over the age of 80! We are really lucky to have them with us. They all are still active and cooking, so they brought over their specialty dishes as well!

I made the turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, cornbread casserole and an assortment of appetizers.

My guests brought over sweet potatoes, squash casserole, creamed onions, green beans, salad, pumpkin and apple pies. An abundance of food, family, and love.

I made a cornbread stuffing that I saw on the Oprah Show. It is very labor intensive, but oh so good! Rave reviews from the elder crowd and those don't come easy!

Check it out here:
http://www.oprah.com/food/Thanksgiving-Stuffing-with-Cornbread

3 comments:

Jamie said...

Your day sounds perfectly awesome. And you are right, you ARE lucky to have the older generation still with you.

Have a great weekend.

ps...I want creamed onions!

KathyA said...

The food sounds wonderful!
And I love the new header photo.

Forsythia said...

Lena,

I love the header photo too. What a welcome sight so early on a winter's morning.

You asked how often we get away to our cabin. When Mom was living, I was lucky to get there 2 or 3 times a year. Phil went a little more often. This year we made five trips. We're getting more efficient about getting on the road early, and we leave clothes and other stuff at the cabin so that packing is not a big deal.