Followers

Sunday, November 7, 2010

Sunday update

Sundays have changed since my mother moved. Since there isn't room for all of us at her new place, we tend to divide up. Some of us go during the week and then a few on Sunday. Once we get the house renovated and we move in, I hope that changes and we can all meet at the house where we all grew up and have our Sunday dinners resume.

I wonder how it will be for Mom to visit us in her former home? I know she misses it so much, and after 60 years living there, how could she not? I thought she would be happy that we kept the house in the family and I believe she is, but wonder how weird it will be for her to be visiting? Time will tell. Sometimes, just once in a while, I wonder if we should have just cut all ties. I guess that is because on some level I feel guilty.

My husband was working everyday at the house ripping up the old carpets, pulling down old wall paper, etc. etc. Workmen were coming in giving estimates, we had an energy audit. Things were moving along. My husband is retired from his full time work, and has his art business, plus a few volunteer positions. On top of that, he also has elderly parents and is their sole care-taker. His mom is 89, dad 86. Dad has Alzheimer. His dad recently came out of an extended stay in rehab and came back home. So my husband has also been very busy with his parents. Very busy.

Unfortunately, my husband fell ill this week, which resulted in a fall. While all the tests at the hospital were negative, he did wind up with a cracked rib and chipped elbow. He is most uncomfortable.

So the house renovating has been put on hold until he is feeling better. Changes are going to be made with the care for his parents. More help needs to come in all areas. Slowing down and self care are high on the agenda now!


3 comments:

Forsythia said...

Ouch. Cracked ribs are painful! I can't imagine that it's any fun having a chipped elbow, although I've never had that experience. Tell him to take it easy,

It'll be interesting to see how your mother reacts to the changes in the house. One of my mom's former (elementary school!) pupils ended up buying the house she grew up in. From time to time we'd visit Donnie, who was in his late 60's and had lived in the house for over 40 years. Mom would always fret, "He should never have knocked out that wall between the kitchen and the dining room."

KathyA said...

First, I'm so sorry your husband wasn't feeling well and then fell! I imagine it hurts to move and to breathe. I hope he heals soon.

The work on the house is exciting. Would love to see both before and after photos. Understand, though, if you want to preserve your privacy.

I look forward to the time in the near future when your family is enjoying their Sunday dinners together in your new/old home.

Cheryl said...

Can I just say ditto to all Kathy said? Wow on all the work you had going on before your husband's fall. Besides the pain and recovery, there's got to be the disappointment in the stop of work. I'm sure you were very excited with all the progress. It will come and I hope your husband heals quickly.

Glad to hear his parents will be getting help. It's way too much for your husband to be their sole caregiver. We're so fortunate that my parents can have someone in 40 hours a week. Amanda will be irreplaceable. I hope she can continue to put up with my parents :)

And you never know. Your mom might love the changes in your home. She might want to move back!!