Followers

Saturday, April 7, 2012

Good energy

With all of the medical appointments I have been going to, I never made it for my post-chemo dental appointment. Some of you may know that when you are having chemotherapy you are not allowed to have dental work done due to the risk of infection. So I realized I needed to get in to see the dentist for not only my post chemo appointment, but also a pre-chemo appointment before the new rounds begin.

My dentist's office was really good and squeezed me into a cancellation the very next day. I was seeing a different hygienist, but that was fine as long as they could take me. So I had to update her on my medical history. Anytime I tell the story of still being in treatment for breast cancer and going in soon for colon cancer treatments, people just stop in their tracks and look at me. They don't know what to say after,"I am so sorry." There is nothing to say so I just try to move the conversation along. So Alison and I got along well chit chatting in-between rinses like you do when you are getting your teeth cleaned.

When we were all done she called the dentist to come in and check my teeth. The dentist comes into the room in a great mood and says, "So what is the good news in here?" The dental hygienist and I look at each other. I say laughingly, "Well, there is NO good news in here." The hygienist quickly tells the dentist I am there for a pre-chemo cleaning and I interjected the rest of the story.

The dentist's smiling face quickly turns to a look of concern and then she addresses me. She said, " I could hear you two laughing and talking during the appointment. I could feel such good energy. And I come in and find out what you are dealing with. I can't believe it. Usually I walk in to see a patient and sense negative energy and all they do is complain and it is all about nothing. You are amazing and I am sure your attitude will help you get through this." 

Little did I know she was over hearing us during the hour appointment and it made me feel good that she sensed good energy from me. I know I will only make it easier on myself if I stay as upbeat as I can, but it isn't easy. And I still allow for time to be sad and mad and wanting to get God on the phone right this minute!! The praying and meditating is taking too long to give me the answers I want! 

So I take in her compliment and allow it to make me feel good, really good. Every little thing that makes me feel good matters to me in a big way now.

So the two of them were standing there as I was getting up to leave. They didn't  quite know what to say, but I did. I said, "One day at a time, one foot in front of the other, chin up and all that jazz." 

I know my cliches!

5 comments:

Josie Two Shoes said...

What an uplifiting post to come and find here today! I'm sure it gets old, updating people on your situation all the time, and yet I sense your compassion and humor in their difficulty in knowing what more to say after I'm sorry. We get mad with you and for you, we get sad with you, we question why with you, and we share your feeling of frustration that answers don't come the way we want them to. Sometimes all that remains to say - after all those cliches - is, "I care about you and what you are gong thru", and I do. I am so glad that you had a time of laughter and someone who felt the positive energy in that, every little bit helps... yet another cliche, I know! :-)) Love and Hugs, Josie

Cheryl said...

Do you get tired of people saying 'I'm so sorry?' It's a simple yet heartfelt expression, but everyone says it.

I know for me, and probably most people, we share sorrow for this enemy cancer that you're making war on. I know it could so easily be me. How would I handle the diagnosis? It's really my worst fear. Maybe that's why I feel so close to you. I need your journey to be a success. I'm right there with you Lena, as are so many of your blogging friends.

I hope today is a great one. The sun is shining here. I hope there's sunshine in your neck of the world.

Forsythia said...

What a life-affirming post. May you have a day filled with sunshine and laughter and peace and joy.

KathyA said...

Sometimes cliches can really carry us along! They are often underestimated.

Yes, you DO exude that positive energy. I can feel it here!

Maria said...

Let's all clink a glass to positive energy! One thing I know is that it will keep you afloat rather than drag you under. Lena, you make it easy for all of us who are pulling for you by being such a beacon of light. You plod along & do what you have to & deal with everything with such grace despite the fact that you may be feeling terrified & confused & just pissed off. I love that about you. Words are just words but you exude so much of yourself through them. It's so good hearing from you & we're all praying that you will swim right through this.
Much love, as always,
Maria