Followers

Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Round one

I was considering last week to be my last week of "normal" before I started my treatments for colon cancer. I tried to enjoy every day and make it special. I went to museums, out to lunch, shopping, and visited friends.I stopped by my office and even made it to a going away party for a colleague. It was great to see everyone! 

Sunday we had a mass for my dad and my uncle and then the whole family went out for lunch. It was crowded in the restaurant, but they had a patio and since it was a beautiful day, we all sat outside and enjoyed a marvelous lunch. 

Last year around this time we had the mass for them as well. It was right after my diagnosis of the breast cancer and it was the first time I saw my aunts and cousins. And as fate would have it again, Sunday was the first time I saw them all since diagnosis number II. No one really knows what to say and so no one said anything until we said good-bye and everyone wished me luck with big hugs and kisses. 

Monday I reported to the hospital for my treatment. The day had finally arrived and I had not slept a wink the two nights before. Even though I have been through chemo before the anxiety of not knowing what to expect from all the new drugs was just too much to bear.

I am on a regimen called FOLFOX which is standard treatment for stage III colon cancer. I am getting 4 different medications. Monday and Tuesday I go into the hospital for IV drips of medication and an IV push. Then they send me home with more chemotherapy in a pump that I have to wear for 22 hours. The pump has a slower drip so that the cells are exposed longer to the chemo. 

I did not like the idea of being sent home with chemotherapy, but people do it all of the time. I have a toll-free number to call if the  pump malfunctions. I have bio-hazard bags in case there is a spill (which the nurse said has never happened, much to my relief!) It is cumbersome and annoying and it is tricky to shower without getting it wet, so I needed to have a hand held shower.

One of the side effects to one of the meds is a cold sensitivity, because the medication effects the nerve endings. This means I cannot drink cold drinks or  have cold food nor touch cold objects. I need to wear gloves to take things out of the refrigerator.  Some people don't get the sensitivity, some have it only a few days and some have it the whole time. I have been very careful so I don't really know if I have it or not. 

If you drink something cold, you feel like your throat is constricting and you feel like you can't breathe. So I am only drinking room temperature liquids because I don't want to find out what that feels like at all!!! I wash my hands in warm water and I wear gloves when I open the refrigerator, so far I have not felt anything because I am taking all precautions.

Today is day 3 and my pump should be done by noon. Then I head over to the hospital and they take off the pump and de-access my port and round 1 will be done leaving 11 more to go. 

Then I wait and see what other side effects might come over me. 

I am supposed to go back to work on Monday and I have no idea what to do. I have to say that being home for one month makes it hard to want to go back even though most of the time I was home I was recuperating.  But I just have to wait and see how I feel by Monday and then make a decision. I can extend my family leave time if I need to. 

So up ward and onward!


4 comments:

Josie Two Shoes said...

Round one done... yes!! Not knowing what to expect is always the scariest part. Hopefully you'll be able to sleep a little before the next round. When does it come? Chemo at home is new to me, and the cold thing sounds intimidating. I'm glad you are being extra careful to avoid the potential effects. I am prayerful and believing that NEXT YEAR when your family all gets together at this time, you'll be celebrating a clean bill of health! Take care, and all those other words of encouragement. And thank you so much for checking in with us! HUGS, Josie

Maria said...

Hi Lena~

Yay for you on completing round one! I remember, years ago, reading a book by Jill Ireland, written during her battle with breast cancer. It was a lovely book & I remember her doing all of the traditional medical recommendations but intergrating lots of holistic healing techniques as well. She lived on the beach in Malibu & I remember her writing about finding stones on the beach during her walks. She collected these stones in various sizes & after each chemo session was completed, she would throw a stone into the ocean. Big stones if the chemo was particularly rough, smaller ones if the chemo seemed mild. Seeing the stones diminish in number helped her see the end of her ordeal drawing near. I've always loved that, especially being a lover of the ocean. The book was called Life Wish, if you're interested in reading it. I think you can find it on eBay really cheap. Please email me if you ever need a shoulder to lean on.
Much love,
Maria

Cheryl said...

Upward and onward...sounds like a soldier. Sounds like someone fighting a battle with fortitude. Sounds like someone brave. You are all those things, though not by choice. I'd much rather read about your vacation! I can't wait for that day. In the meantime, I hope your side effects are mild. Rest up now. Do something that puts a smile on your face.

Kelly Ann Isom-Tolar said...

Prayers for you and your family!