Followers

Tuesday, April 3, 2012

It's not fair

I had a week to have it sink in that I needed chemotherapy again before I sat down with my oncologist. It was hard at first to take it in especially because there was such a good chance that all I needed would be the surgery to remove the tumor. I believed I would be OK and I had hundreds of people praying for me. 

So I moped around some at home and stayed as up beat as I could with friends and family. I have been through chemo before, I did pretty well, I know what to expect, I should be able to do this. I hoped that the number of rounds might be even less for this time around. I was the master of self positive talk all week.

Everything I hoped and prayed for went out the window during this appointment. First they called and said he wanted me to come at a different time so he could spend a longer time with me. Red flag. I cringed a little when the receptionist said that to me. Longer time? Why? I just want to know how many rounds, it should not take that long. Oh, dear.. I am going to get a curve ball. I can feel it.

So he comes in and tells me that I will need chemo. He didn't realize the surgeon told me already. He asked lots of questions about family history. There is no history of colon cancer in my family. I am the first one.  They want to do genetic testing. At first I cringe thinking more tests for me. But all they do is test the tumor.

The oncologist proceeds to tell me that I have stage III colon cancer (not early stage as the G.I. doctor thought.) I am going to need 12 cycles of chemo, every 2 weeks, for 6 months. Gulp. The side effects of the chemotherapy are a lot more intense than I had with the other chemotherapy. (Twice as many rounds as I had with the chemo for the breast cancer.)  I will need 3 days in the row to go into the hospital and have infusions then wear a pump at home over night for 2 nights.

He would give me the information a bit at a time, very slowly and calculated looking straight into my eyes. I sat up straighter and did not flinch. I saw no reason to say anything. In these situations there is nothing to be said. I could not wheel and deal my way out of it, I was backed up into a corner and the only way out is to submit. "I understand I have to suck this up," I said.  He looked at me and said, "It isn't fair. I hated coming in here to tell you this news. Usually it is the patient who says it isn't fair, and here I am telling you it isn't fair."

I don't think it is fair either, but stating it doesn't change a thing.

6 comments:

Heidi said...

Oh Lena, I'm so sorry. My heart sank as I read your post. It isn't fair. I pray God's grace upon you today.

Heidi

Forsythia said...

Lena, what a nasty curve ball. You're right; it isn't fair. It makes you want to kick the universe. Of course, I will pray for you "'without ceasing." The other thing you can do for yourself is watch shows that make you laugh--such as reruns of "I Love Lucy."

Josie Two Shoes said...

Well damn! They just keep tossing stuff and you and heck no it isn't fair, it isn't nice, or kind, or even decent. And I wish we understood better why such things happen to good people when the buttheads we all know walk around unscathed. But such is life, and yes, all there is to do is as you say, suck it up and keep going. We'll be here to count down those darn sessions with you and get them crossed of the list. I can imagine this feels a lot like having a bowling ball thown at you, but I also know you can and will get thru it, one step at a time, one breath at a time, one prayer at a time. Big hugs and love coming your way. Please keep posting updates as you go along, so we can walk the road with you and at least let you know you're not alone!

Cheryl said...

I had the thought that if everyone took a tiny bit of your cancer, no one, including you, would have enough to hurt us. I would do that for you. I'm so sorry Lena. This news sucks, and must feel unreal. Hugs from me to you!

Pixie Bad-ass said...

Lena,
Hang in there, lady, you will beat this one day at a time just like last time. I will be sending positive thoughts out to you, and also a luminaria with your name on it for the ACS Relay for life that I'm doing in June.
Hugs and support to you as you fight this!
Lori

Lena said...

To all my blogger friends:

I can't even begin to tell you how much comfort and support I feel from you.

Your comments made me cry, all of them for different reasons, a good cry, a grateful and happy cry for having people like you all rooting for me!

God Bless you all!!