Followers

Friday, July 6, 2012

They call me Mellow Yellow

This is still all unbelievable to me, but last week I ended up in the hospital. I was not rebounding after the last chemo but couldn't quite put symptoms together. By Thursday my skin was yellow and other symptoms full blown.

I ended up having a gall stone blocking my liver and gall bladder and on Friday needed to have a procedure done to remove the gall stone. The stone was too big and they could not get it out so they had to put in a stent so the bile could pass. And then they decided I needed to have my gall bladder out to prevent anymore gall stones.

Surgery was scheduled for Monday, July 2. My birthday was Sunday, July 1 and I had to spend it in the hospital on clear liquids. :-( My family all came and made the day really great though!

Complications hit after surgery. My blood counts dropped very low and I needed to have a blood transfusion.

There was lots of drama and I am too tired to try to write it all out, but bottom line, I came home today. I still have to go back to have the stent taken out in a couple of weeks.

This has really been a difficult week, but I am doing what I always do.... I follow directions, advocate for myself when I need to, and stay as upbeat as I can.

Gall bladder surgery is usually an easy surgery and most people do well. But having a gallbladder attack during the middle of a chemo cycle brings it to a whole other level.

I will write more when I am feeling better!

5 comments:

Forsythia said...

Unbelievable. Absolutely unbelievable. Do you know the old song "It Was Just One of Those Things"? One of the lines is "a trip to the moon on gossamer wings." Although I suppose gall stones are "just one of those things," you certainly haven't had any trip to the moon this year. Still, you remain amazingly good-humored through it all. Here's hoping you feel better very soon!

Josie Two Shoes said...

Good Lord! As if the chemo isn't enough, and as if a galbladder attack/surgery isn't enough, this is just plain crummy... and more words I won't say here! :-) What I can say is think of the survivor tales you'll be able to tell grandkids someday! :-) One more darn speed bump in the road that you are getting past, I will be praying that you recover from this latest invasion quickly and can refocus on the big healing at hand. My heart goes out to you, I can only guess at how hard it's been... and what a way to spend a birthday! Unforgettable, but not in the sense you'd prefer... a nice tropical island would have been much more fun... maybe next year! :-) By the way - I absolutely love your header photo, so peaceful and beautiful, I feel a great deal of strength in it! HUGS across the miles, Josie

Christina said...

Bless your sweet heart. You have amazing courage and inspiration. Keep fighting the good fight of faith, Lena!!

hugs xoxox

Cheryl said...

Good to hear from you. Wish you were reporting on what a great time you've been having, but that will come. This will all be a bad, bad memory. The good times are ahead.

I've heard so many gall bladder stories. Yours is almost over.

Stay well!

Maria said...

Oh, Lena. I'm always so thankful when I see a comment from you on my blog & you sound so upbeat. So so sorry for all you're going through. I know all about the pain of a gallbladder attack. They're horrible.
And a belated Happy, Happy birthday! Being surrounded by family is about the best gift we can receive. I go in on Wednesday for my procedure & saying my prayers. It's a scary time. You inspire more than you know. Stay well & keep in touch.
Praying for you always.