Followers

Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Acupuncture

Today, I went for my first acupuncture appointment. I was very nervous, but I was soon put at ease by the practitioner. She sat and asked all the routine health questions and not only did she write down all the information, but she was figuring out what the mind/body connections were to help her figure out where she would place the needles. She zeroed in on "letting go, frustration, and over-worrying."
She said that for the first session she would only use 7 needles, and build up to the 12-20 which is average.
I wondered if the needles would hurt, I wondered that ALOT! I had this picture in my head of me running out of the office screaming like a cartoon character with porcupine needles stuck into my back.
So she started the needles and it did not hurt at all, actually I had to ask if she had already put them in. As she explained, I did feel some pressure and then some itching which is a good thing. The practitioner left the room and gave me a bell to ring if I started to feel any pain or if I needed her.
After a few minutes, I felt very heavy, very heavy.... which she said is a very good thing. I was hoping she would come back and she did. She said often people will fall asleep at this stage. But I knew the nervous Nelly in me would not let me feel comfortable enough to fall asleep.
So I felt very weird in a way, and then deep emotion swept over me. Tears started to fall and she said to go with the energy, so I did.
The needles were in for about 15 minutes, for the first time. I also have homework. I have a small hammer with needles on the end that I can use for my foot. The needles do not puncture the foot.
So after it was all over, I was feeling very relaxed and happy with myself because I have wanted to do this for a long time and I finally got brave enough.
I have another session next week.
So I am drinking lots of water tonight, because she said that in order for the acupuncture to work, I have to have water.
So.... my first session done.... I am looking forward to the energy getting unstuck... mind and body.

No comments: