Followers

Monday, February 16, 2009

Book recommendation




I had my nose stuck in this book all weekend; The Barn at the end of the World: The Apprenticeship of a Quaker, Buddhist Shepherd by Mary Rose O'Reilley. I enjoyed it so much because it was funny, poignant, peaceful, uplifting, and insightful. It is one of the best books I have read about spirituality, reminding me a bit of Eat, Pray, Love.
Quote from the back cover:
"This splendid book -with its improbable mix of animal husbandry, intentional community, academic life, rural experience, and Quakerish Zen-offers both wisecracking fun and wise companionship on the spiritual journey. Read it and laugh. Read it and weep. Read it and grow. This is a flat- out fabulous book. -Parker J. Palmer, author of Let Your Life Speak: Listening for the Voice of Vocation.




3 comments:

KathyA said...

Sounds interesting. Thanks, I'll have to try it.

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

It sounds very unusual. I'd never heard of it before.

Forsythia said...

Oh, no! Another must-read. :-) Sounds like it would be time well spent.