Followers

Saturday, February 14, 2009

Winter get away


Last weekend we decided to take some time to ourselves and headed up to New Hampshire for the weekend. When we arrived in Keene, there was a winter festival going on and they were having an ice sculpture contest. I enjoyed watching the artists carve the ice and it is fun to walk around and look at all the different ones.

When we took off, we had no particular destination in mind and no reservation to stay over anywhere. Although Keene was hopping we were lucky enough to find a place with a swimming pool and wireless so I was all set.

It was a cold and windy up there and of course, and still a lot of snow piled up all over. It was just perfect to get in the pool to swim. The water temperature felt like it was around 80 degrees. It took the winter chill right out of me and soothed my soul.

We stopped at some of our favorite places in Vermont on the way up, like Basketville and The Front Porch Cafe. We visited an art museum and had dinner at a brewery that was housed in a market place with the biggest local bookstore I have ever seen. They also had a huge antique store. Books and antiques... doesn't get better than that for browsing for me.

Just taking off for an overnight felt like a mini vacation and even though I resisted taking the time off to go, I was glad we did.


3 comments:

KathyA said...

What a perfect sounding weekend! I would so love to just get in the car and go!

Bill said...

Getting away from it all, be it a day trip, an overnight, or more, is so important. We need to remember that we owe that to ourselves.

Patty said...

Shaking up our normal routine is always a good thing, and usually turns out to be very refreshing for our souls.

I have to admit to resisting leaving my house unless I "have too" so I totally get where you are coming from.