Followers

Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Holiday weekend




Christmas 2010 was great. We spent 3 days in a row with family. Thursday night with my sister and brother-in-law who had us all over for pizza so we could visit with their daughter and her husband to be with their very first grandchild. She is the first great-grandchild for my mother. It was so fun having a little one on Christmas! She is only 8 months old now, but she was bright eyed and loving all of the attention and enjoying opening her gifts. Something about having a baby around that makes every occasion that much more enjoyable!

Christmas Eve we visited my other sister's home and my mom made mussels and baked shrimp. I don't care for mussels, but I did enjoy the shrimp immensely. I brought over some chicken caccitore for those allergic to shell fish. It is my grandmother's recipe and I haven't made it for awhile, and oh, it was so very good if I do say so myself!

On Saturday, Christmas Day I was expecting 14 relatives. We had invited my side of the family and my husband's side. My 85 year old Italian mother insisted on making her lasagna because, "it isn't Christmas without Lasagna." I did not argue, but still decided to make a Smithfield ham as well. Everything was delicious!

We had my father in law here who was recently placed in facility for those with memory impairments. Although he does not know us individually, he knows he is with his family. It took a great deal of work to have him here, and my brother in law and my husband took charge of him to make it work. It was touching to see how caring and attentive they are to their dad, who admits he does not really remember them.

Last year we buried my dad 4 days before Christmas, it was a hard time. This year we have 2 new people added to our family. The first great grandchild and my younger son's new girlfriend. My son has been dating V. for a while now and it seems to be a serious relationship. I was thinking how one year ago, neither the baby nor the girlfriend were around. They never knew my dad. But their presence this Christmas meant so much to me. They reminded me that life goes on, that the family keeps growing, more people come into the fold that bring love and joy, even though you miss those who have passed.

It was a very busy three days, a great deal in one weekend, but it was all good! I actually enjoyed the snow storm the day after Christmas. I just relaxed and watched movies and put away the Christmas decorations. It was a lazy and cozy day following a weekend of holiday cheer.

5 comments:

Forsythia said...

What a lovely post. So far we've not had enough snow to be snowed in. I love being snowed in. The prospects for the weekend are not promising. They're predicting a high of 58!

KathyA said...

That baked shrimp looks really good -- could you share the recipe?

LOL "Christmas isn't Christmas without lasagna" :)

Yes -- the cycles of life seem to be so much more poignant at this time of year. Such a blessing to have two new lives in your family...

Lena said...

Hi Kathy,

My mom was pleased that you thought her shrimp looked so good that you wanted her recipe!

She has the recipe in her head so there are no specific measurements.

Shell and rinse the shrimp.

Spread a little olive oil in a baking dish so the shrimp does not stick.

Lay the shrimp in a single line. Season with bread crumbs by sprinkling them over the shrimp.

Then sprinkle lemon juice over the shrimp. Next, put pieces of butter or margarine here and there over the shrimp. Then a little bit of olive oil sprinkled over the shrimp.

Optional: You can sprinkle white wine as well, but she likes it better without the wine.

Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes.

Enjoy.

KathyA said...

Thank you, Lena. Please tell your mom I thank her for sharing this AND I'll be trying it!

Cheryl said...

It sounds like it was a wonderful Christmas. I'm so glad. New beginnings with a great grandchild and a possible daughter-in-law. I'm sad that it's your first Christmas without your dad. I'm sure that was hard. And I know how hard it must have been to have your FIL, but you'll have that memory and it's a good one. I wish you a great new year!