Followers

Sunday, November 27, 2011

Thanksgiving wrap up

A couple of days before Thanksgiving a friend called to see how I was doing with my treatments and was just absolutely astounded that I was hosting Thanksgiving dinner. She said that it was too big a meal to get on the table while I was undergoing radiation. I knew that I could very well handle it because I enjoy doing it,  my husband was going to help me, and most of all I had energy!  I am burned and blistered, but when I have things to do, it takes my mind off of how I am feeling.  My knees are a problem, but I was taking my meds and pacing myself so I knew I would be able to pull it off. I also gave myself silent permission that if I did need to excuse myself and take a nap, I would.

It really was the least stressful Thanksgiving I have ever put on. I just decided to relax and just do what I could. I did not go crazy over preparing and I asked people for help when I needed it. So simple, but in the past I made it so hard for myself.

I made an 18 pound turkey, a sour cream pumpkin pie, corn bread casserole, green bean casserole and stuffing. My husband made the mashed sweet potatoes and my MIL brought creamed onions. I also bought a small dutch apple pie and my DIL made cream cheese brownies. DIL also brought an artichoke dip for an appetizer. Everything was delicious. 

The next day we were invited to visit my younger son's new apartment and meet his girlfriend's parents and brothers and have dinner with them. My son moved to RI in May the day before my lumpectomy. I haven't had the time to visit him up there since. So he was very excited we were coming. We had a wonderful dinner with all of them and got along so well. 

I had given my son the dining room set from my mother's house. His new apartment had a huge dining room and he was the only one who could really use it.  It made me feel good sitting there thinking about all the Sunday dinners and birthday parties we had around that table and yet sad at the same time. Looking around the table at all new faces sitting there was an odd feeling. Someday those people will be my son's in-laws and I thought to myself that we were starting a new tradition with new family around the table.

We spent the night at a hotel and I had a chance to soak my legs in the hotel hot tub and it felt so wonderful to my aching joints. 

Today, we spent the afternoon at a 40th wedding anniversary party for my cousin. It was a surprise party and boy, were they surprised! I love a good surprise! It was great to see my cousins and family and we enjoyed an Italian buffet with a rum cake for dessert. When we were kids my grandmother always ordered rum cakes for parties and none of us had eaten a rum cake in years. It was nice to have it once again as it brought back good memories for all of us. 

I enjoyed having a four day break from the hospital! I was hoping my burns would have healed more than they did with the break and I am a bit nervous about how much worse 8 more sessions will make them. But like everything else that goes along with the cancer, I have no control and can only do my best managing the side effects as they arise. 

What I feel is very unjust though is that Monday is weigh-in day in the radiation center.  I think it would be heartless of them to make us get on the scale after Thanksgiving weekend.!

4 comments:

Maria said...

Oh, Lena, your weekend sounded wonderful! I'm so happy for you.
Your table looked beautiful!! I love the fact that you were able to give your mother's dining set to your son...it reminded me of how happy I am that my brother is now living in our old house...all those wonderful memories are still there every time I walk through the door. I think it is amazing how you've handled everything. I love that you were able to give yourself permission to pace yourself & that you've learned what your needs are & are no longer afraid to express them. Nothing beats a good nap if need be. You are an inspiration to me!

Smitty said...

Your Thanksgiving sounds like the gift of a good time for all. Thanks for sharing story about how it went....


I would love the recipe for that sour cream pumpkin pie when you have the time...

KathyA said...

Weigh in after Thanksgiving!! That's just cruel!

So glad you were able to enjoy your Thanksgiving. I understand about your need to do stuff and to prepare the meal. Good for you!

Are the burns painful? I hope not.

Cheryl said...

Your Thanksgiving, and the days after, sounded perfect. I'm so glad Lena.