Followers

Saturday, November 12, 2011

More of the same

 A few years ago, I had knee surgery, but it was clear that I needed a complete knee replacement in the near future. My doctor didn't recommend it for me because I am under 60 years old and he said if I had it early than that I would need it again by the time I am 80.  So for the past few years I have been in pain with my both knees and they have gotten progressively worse. At this time I am in more pain than I have ever been and medicine is not really helping much. At times it is excruciating. I believe this severe pain is a side effect from the chemotherapy on my joints, exacerbated by the fact that I have gained weight during the chemo, and that my joints were inflamed to begin with.

So while I am feeling pretty good post chemo and during this radiation period, the pain in my joints and stiff muscles have affected my mood this week. My quality of life is suffering. I think I am going to have to take yet more time off from work to see the orthopedica doctor. I can not do appointments after work because I go straight to the hospital for radiation. Maybe a cortisone shot would help hold me over until treatment is done. One knee is so sore that I can't kneel on it and I have difficulty bending my leg.

I did go to the massage therapist and she gave me some things to do at home to help my muscles stay loose but that is only helping minimally at this point. 

Friday did me in. I was all over the campus touring, then to a hotel for a professional development that I was in charge of.  So I keep running back and forth to the front desk for this or that.  Then walking around the hosptial for treatment and an appointment with my surgeon. By the time I left her office I was taking baby steps because it hurt so much to move.

I see my surgeon every three months. She is vivacious, warm, and so upbeat. Her energy is infectious and I feel good just having a brief encounter with her. She said that I am healing beautifully. She also said that it was "too bad that I couldn't whip it out once in a while and show people because it would be good advertising for her." When I was leaving, she gave me a big hug, like she always does. And while we were embracing she whispered into my ear, "I am so glad that your hemorrhoids went away."  LOL  




3 comments:

Forsythia said...

So sorry to hear about your pain. I'll just bet that the chemo has exacerbated it, just as you say, but suspecting the cause of the flare-up doesn't make it any easier to bear.

Cheryl said...

So, knee surgery is in your future. I'm sure you hate the thought of it, but the results...you need the relief from the pain will be so worth it. Great that you have such a wonderful relationship with your surgeon.

Maria said...

Hi Lena~
I am just now catching up on my blog reading, been so busy. I hear you about the knee pain. I've been overweight most of my life & it has taken a toll on my joints. I know all about the baby steps. Some days I come home & I can barely step down, that's how painful everyting is. I'm doing alot of running around with this job & ouch..by the end of the day.
Best advice~rest & do whatever you can to minimize the pain. There are so many things that can help, even for a little while. My poor younger sister is scheduled for knee surgery on Dec. 5th. I fear I too am headed in that direction.
Oh, and one note from your last post..LOVE the color you chose for your pain & the reason why!! I always used black because it was the darkest color & I was always searching for light. Yours=perfect, I love it!! Have a great rest of the week.
Hugs,
Maria