Followers

Sunday, January 29, 2012

Sunday - Sunday

I certainly agree with folks on here who say how hard it is for my MIL to give up driving. OMG, I can't imagine if it were me, but someday it will be me. It is another one of those milestones that everyone dreads and it makes life much more difficult for all involved.  I do feel badly for her. But she has had 3 accidents in the past few years, the last one being the worst and involving crashing into an on-coming car because of an illegal left hand turn. It was her wake up call and she needs to heed it.

Today my husband went to pick her up for church. Church is the hardest place to get her to. She goes to a church three towns away from where she lives and we live four towns away in the  opposite direction. My husband had an 80 mile round trip to take her to church.When he arrived there she came out of the house in an angry fury. She got into the car and proceed to yell at him all the way to the church criticizing his driving and insisting on taking the route she is accustomed to. My husband found that the route she has been taking went through a very dangerous high crime part of the city! HE was uncomfortable driving through it and was aghast that she had been driving that route alone.

He dropped her off at church and then she was getting ride with a friend to go to lunch where he would pick her up at 1:30 P.M. Because he had time to kill, he met me at my mom's house and we all had some lunch together. 

After my husband left to go pick up his mom, I had stayed and visited my mom for awhile. When I left her apartment and as I was walking down the hall, I got  choked up. I wanted things to be different. I wanted my dad alive, my parents living back at the house and our Sunday dinners.  I wanted my FIL alive and MIL able to drive. In the moment, I hated all of the changes that have been going on. I started to cry and then realized my mom would be standing at the window waving to me was I walked down to the parking lot. It breaks my heart every time I leave and see her standing at the window.

I could not let her see me cry (she is so worried about my health, she would think there was something I wasn't telling her) so I just put a smile on my face and waved to her as I walked by.  



2 comments:

Forsythia said...

This sounds all too familiar. When Mom moved down here, she had it in her head that I would be driving her to her doctor's appointments, 365 miles away!

Maria said...

Broke my heart when you mentioned Sunday dinners. Missing my Mom so much...& my Dad & Uncle Bud. Those changes are the hardest. I'm sure that's why I cherish our Sunday dinners. We've enjoyed them my whole life; it's just so hard with the ones missing. Thinking of you. Have a great week.