Followers

Monday, May 21, 2012

A great weekend

                               Finale - Caroline Doctorow (on guitar) and the Steamrollers and Grayson Hugh (on        piano)
                                                      Humorist Loretta LaRoche

It has been a crazy couple of weeks. I went back to work after my last round and walked into a very stressful situation. It really didn't have anything to do with me as my job responsibilities have changed since my illness, but I ended up in the middle of it with people wanting and needing my help as they were used to working with me.

For the most part it didn't have to be as stressful as I made it out to be, but it was a lot to have to handle coming back off of chemo and feeling drained with a host of side effects. I also came down with a UTI and another side effect that landed me at the doctor's office. In short, I was a mess that week. But did I even realize how much of a mess I was? NO! I completely over did it at work, then insisted on going out that Friday night when I should have gone straight to bed when I got home from work. 

So long story short, I had a relapse on Sat. ended up in the walk-in and they doubled and extended my medication, and were quite worried about me. I needed to go home and rest. It put a damper on Mother's Day, as I was going to have my mom and my sisters along with my kids over at my house.  I canceled that get together and just my kids came down later in the afternoon after I had napped all day.

Last Monday was treatment day again and my oncologist decided not to treat me due to the infection and the other side effects that were going strong. I was relieved. I felt so weak and wondered how in the world I could handle another round when I had not recovered from the last one. So I took 3 whole days off from work and just relaxed and nursed myself back to health. I was scared that I had done this to myself and I thought back to how I should have spoken up and not taken on so much. 

So the upside is that I had an extra week off from chemo and it was wonderful! I was drinking and eating all the cold food I wanted to and enjoyed it immensely! By the time this weekend rolled around, I felt pretty good. 

We kicked off the weekend at the beach Friday night and watched the sun set after a delicious sea food dinner! Saturday I did some  errands and we went out late for our anniversary dinner. 37 Years on Thursday. (treatment will prevent celebrating much this weekend so we did it early!) 

On Sunday I went to a cancer survivor event in at a hospital in aother town. They were having humorist Loretta LoRoche. I saw her many years ago at during a staff day at work. I loved her. She is so very funny and talks about surviving life and finding the "bless in the mess" when life get tough. My husband came with me and we had a really nice time laughing all afternoon. 

After her performance we had an opportunity to try Harmonic Sound Healing. We laid down on lawn chairs outside with gongs in front of us and in back of us while we relaxed, the practitioners hit the gongs and come around with chime bowls. The sound vibrations are supposed to heal you on a cellular level and help you to unblock everyday trauma. I find it very hard to relax, so as I sat there I could feel my heart beating a little fast. so I just worked on staying calm and praying. It was something we never did before and it was interesting. And I am looking for as many healing modalities as I can comfortably partake in. 

Later that night we drove about 50 miles to our favorite concert hall for a concert. We had another nice dinner out as there is a great restaurant next to the venue. Out to eat 3 nights in a row! Hey, we deserve to celebrate our anniversary! 

We enjoyed the show very much and decided it was a great day. Laughing, Vibrational healing, music, good food, togetherness and lots of singing in the car on the way up there which was actually my favorite part!

Back at the hospital this morning to start round # 3. My cup runs over with inspiration from the weekend that will carry me through the week!

4 comments:

KathyA said...

Aside from the overduing part you've had a great couple of weeks!

You're going to have to watch what you choose to do and when to say no -- but I'm sure you realize that now.

I think it's great to try new ways -- everything helps -- including the laughter!! So glad you're doing well.

Forsythia said...

Just take my advice. On the back of your right hand, write the word "no." On the back of your left hand, write "See right hand." When someone asks you to take on something more, look at the back of either hand for your answer. Take care of yourself, Lady!!

The Harmonic Healing sounds delightful, something everyone should try at least once.

Josie Two Shoes said...

Despite the speed bumps and another bout of feeling crappy, this is a great post, it left me smiling! You got to enjoy some wonderful moments with family and especially with your husband, and were able to recharge your batteries for today. Thirty seven years together is indeed reason to celebrate, and I'm so glad you did. Here's to many more! Sending healing thoughts that this round will go easier. HUGS!

Maria said...

Lena, you sound great! Love how you bounce back after all the stress & harsh treatments. I was so happy to see your comment; three weeks is a long time not hearing from you.
Nothing like good food, an evening at the beach, music..sing your heart out on those road trips. Congratulations to you & your husband on your anniversary! Many, many more in good health. Praying hard that you recover quickly from everything.
Love to you,
Maria