Followers

Friday, August 28, 2009

Friday night is alright

All of a sudden the weather has changed and it was cold and rainy today. I guess we can't complain too much because we had a nice stretch of clear and warm weather. I don't like hot weather, but I do enjoy using our pool when the water warms up so much. I think I was in my pool every day for one hour for about 3 and a half weeks straight. I enjoy mostly making whirlpools. Nothing is more soothing to me than swimming around in circles and making a strong whirlpool that will carry me when I want to float.

All of our staff started back at school this week for professional development and the first day is Tuesday for the students. Summer slows down for me at work and that was nice, so I have been easing into the fall schedule. My job is changing this year and I am not sure how it will all pan out and how satisfied I will be, so I am going to really try to keep tabs on it. I want to take on one more job before I retire and I am trying to figure out what it is that I want to do.

I felt good this summer, the best I have felt in a long time. I was busy with wedding/shower planning so I had lots to do, but I was grateful my knee was holding up as I was running around the malls. For awhile there I could not walk around a mall because of the pain. So to be active again and be able to do something like shop at the mall which many people take for granted made me feel on top of the world. I was walking from one end of the mall to the other!

My Feldenkrais practitioner said that I was a different person coming in every week. I was happier more relaxed and my body was more flexible. I am hoping I can keep it up. I felt as though I was coming out of a fog. I think just being out in the sunlight was making me happy as well. I had been pretty cooped up all winter, taking to the couch after supper and falling asleep most nights. As my work load picks up again, I need to be sure that I work harder to find balance in my life.

My husband is having his very first art show in 2 weeks. He was interviewed by our local paper today and they sent a photographer out to the house to take his picture. He has only been painting for 3 and a half years and never thought that he would be taking up a second career as an artist. He is getting a great deal of attention from family and friends and it seems like the opening will be a lot of fun. I am happy for him and also a little envious of his retiree status and his new found career.

I have a baby shower tomorrow, a 60th birthday party on Sunday afternoon and tickets to see Kathy Griffin on Sunday night. So the weekend is jammed packed with FUN!

I am just finishing up reading Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert for the second time. I love that book and loved it more this time around. So I think I will end this post with a quote from the book: Happiness is the consequence of personal effort.

3 comments:

Forsythia said...

Sixty! You are still a kid. I love Kathy Griffin. How fortunate that your husband has a new career. So many men are at loose ends when they retire.

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

How exciting for your husband to be having a show. Reading that is a big encouragement to me!

I'm glad you felt good this summer. Have your tried light therapy in the winter? It has made a huge difference for me.

KathyA said...

Wow! So much going on--you and your husband must be really excited and proud about the show!