Followers

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Crisis or an opportunity for growth?

I was diagnosed today with breast cancer. I still can't believe it is true even after sitting with the doctor and reading the lab report over and over again. 85% of biopsies are benign, and I fell into the 15% of women who have positive results.

I had a post up last week about the titanium breast markers that they wanted to put in during the procedure. (I took the post down, not sure why.) I was fighting having the markers put in because I didn't want foreign objects in my body, but they said it would be necessary in case things turned bad.The markers would help them to find the exact spot where the biopsy had been performed. After much stress and discussion with radiology and my dermatologist, I agreed to it. I guess that was the right decision considering the outcome.

I will be seeing an oncologist and a surgeon asap. I know there are a lot of you out there that have been through this or are going through it right now. I have a strong supportive family and wonderful friends. I will get through this.

The hardest part was telling my sons and my 85 year old mom. I am glad that part is over.

I still am hoping that this is all a dream and I will wake up from it soon! Shake me, wake me, please!

7 comments:

SharonL said...

I'm so sorry to hear of your diagnosis! Hugs & prayers to & for you! May you find God's peace in the middle of the storm.

Forsythia said...

Prayers and hugs. Life is so full of surprises like this.

KathyA said...

I had a bad feeling when I couldn't get to that post that something had happened.

A few of us have been hit by that 'cancer' bus, Lena -- and know how shocking that word is. But one thing I learned is that attitude is EVERYTHING. I'm so sorry you're going through this. Keep us posted on your progress.

Jamie said...

Oh honey -- I knew something was wrong. What can I do for you -- other than pray of course, because I will be doing that.

Many hugs. It will work out fine.

Seriously, it will. xo Jamie

Josie Two Shoes said...

I wish I had a magic wand to make it go away! But all I have is love and prayers. One day at a time, one step at a time, you will get thru this! Keep us posted, we care about you! BIG HUGS!

Jamie said...

Just checking in on you. Hugs... :)

Cheryl said...

I read this and out slipped, Oh Sh*t!! I'm so sorry. Your plate was already so full! Breast cancer is every woman's fear, don't you think? Well, like Kathy said, attitude is everything. We'll all be here for you. Let us help lift you up.