Followers

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Night out



At the end of the appointment with the surgeon last week, I started to cry. She asked me why I was crying and I told her that I was relieved to hear that I was healing well and that there would be no more surgery. She then pulled me to her and hugged me and kissed me hard on the top of my head. It was very motherly and I so appreciated her love and care.

I asked her if I could also travel an hour the next day and go to a concert with my husband. She was all for it! "Cancer is just a little blip out of your whole life, go and live your life!" she encouraged me.

When I was getting dressed, she went out to the waiting room and told my husband that I was clear for work as well as the concert and to go and enjoy!

So I came home Friday after my first day back at work and we got ready to go off to the Litchfield hills to see Buffy St. Marie perform. My husband was a big fan of hers through his teen years but I was not so familiar with her music until I met him. We saw her once years ago and she was great. Now at 70 years old, she is still going strong.

We found a very cool restaurant right next to the theater for dinner and then headed over to get in line. We had front row seats in a quaint little theater in the middle of nowhere. Buffy came on with band and they were just awesome. I am not usually one to be interested in a band because I can't tell a good guitar player or drummer from a bad one. But on this night I was just drawn to the drummer. He played those drums like no one I have ever seen. He had such showmanship and he was so passionate about drumming that it almost seemed like he was one with the drum sticks. I loved watching him!

At the end of the concert, Buffy was came out to sign autographs. We knew this ahead of time, so we were right at the front of the line. I saw them setting up a table for 4 people and realized that the band would be at the table with Buffy and that I would get a chance to meet the drummer named Mike.

So I approached the table and shook the Mike's hand and told him how much I enjoyed the show and said to him that I was mesmerized by his drumming. He was very touched by the compliment and put his hand over his heart and gave me a very passionate thank you! Then he took my hand and kissed it and thanked me again! It was really very sweet! I don't think I have ever had my hand kissed!

Then my husband got his chance to have his CD signed by Buffy and I took a picture of the both of them. Unfortunately, her face came out a little blurry, but I am going to post it anyway!


4 comments:

Therapist Mumbles said...

Buffy!

I saw Buffy, it must have been 1967, and the war was ragging and she was against it and we all sang those great songs, and she had that tremolo in her voice and no ever sounded like that again.

It's great you got to enjoy her and Mike.
Sometimes life is so much better after it's been awful.

Cheryl said...

I love what the surgeon said to you. Yes! Live that life. You're going to be fine.

So glad you enjoyed the concert and had that special connection with the drummer.

Happy almost Monday and back to work day.

Forsythia said...

I love the way Mike responded to your compliment.

Jamie said...

How are you doing, what is happening in your world? Have you gone back to work yet and how are you feeling? Just checking in on you..big hugs, friend. :)