Followers

Friday, September 16, 2011

A banner day

Ring the bell
3 Times well
It's toll to clearly say
My treatment is done
This course is run
And I am on my way.
Yesterday I completed 6 rounds of chemotherapy for an invasive breast cancer. My treatment is not really done. I will continue to go for 13 more infusions to oncology as well as radiation. But I will be on a medicine that does not have the harsh side effects of the chemo. They told me all along that I could not ring the bell until the spring when all the infusions were completed. I was disappointed because I wanted to mark the end of the chemo, but I understood their reasoning.

So to my surprise yesterday at the end of the day they told me that I could ring the bell because they wanted me to celebrate the milestone. I burst into tears. I so needed to have the closure on the chemo. I had been so inspired by all those before me who finished chemo and rang the bell. It gave me hope that I could make it to the finish line as well.

So I got up and went over to the bell.   I started to ring the bell and all the nurses and techs lined up to watch me. And it was then that I realized that they looked even more happy than I was. Seeing them all lined up like that was amazing. There were so many of them who had been taking care of me.

So I started to ring that bell harder for them and shout Whoopee!!! It was an awesome feeling! I hugged all of them and then I was presented with flowers. A local florist donates flowers to the oncology department.

So even though I still have a long road to go, I am done with Phase 1!
I now think that life should have a whole lot more of bell ringing moments!  Ring them bells!

10 comments:

Maria said...

Amen, sister. Bells, chimes..love them. Our favourite sushi bar has huge chimes hanging by the front door. I make a mad dash for them & give a hearty pull every time I pass them. The sound fills the bar & half of the parking lot! I will give an extra tug for you next time we go. Yay for you!!
Hugs,
Maria

Lena said...

Oh Bless your heart, Thank you!!!

Hugs! <3

Jamie said...

This post made me want to cry. Congratulations...oh so SO big congratulations. You have done so awesome throughout all of this. Yea you!

Hugs and hugs and hugs. :)

KathyA said...

I cried reading your post!! RING THAT BELL, GIRL!!! We're all with you!

And the people at that infusion center all need to be nominated for sainthood. What a phenomenal group of angels!!!

Diana said...

Oh, this just brought tears to my eyes! I am so happy for you. A huge milestone and a great feeling, I am sure. You GOT this! I am praying for you. Have a great rest of your day!

Lena said...

Thank you, Jamie, KathyA, and Diana! thank you for hanging in with me. I so appreciate your support and love.

I could not wait to share this with all of you.

Forsythia said...

I'm happy you got to ring the bell at the end of Phase One. It's practice for when you get to ring that bell next spring.

Cheryl said...

I'm so happy for you!!! Wish I could have been there to see your joy.

Heart said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lena said...

Yes, Forsythia it was good practice and next time I am going to have family and friends there!

Thank you Cheryl!

Thank you both for your support as well. I so appreciate it!

HUGS