Followers

Thursday, November 27, 2008

Day of Thanks

Turkey is in the oven and the house is filled with it's aroma and boy it smells good. I will be basting faithfully every 30 minutes until it becomes golden brown.

No matter what is going on in our lives, we all have so much to be thankful for. I try to not take the blessings that I have for granted and I take time on occasion to write them in my gratitude journal. I want to make an effort to be more consistent with that because it is a powerful lesson to reflect on the positive.

I am especially grateful today that I am feeling well enough to cook and participate in Thanksgiving. I have been struggling the past week with a flare up of a chronic medical condition and I didn't expect to be back on track so soon. I couldn't even think of Thanksgiving preparations as I was focusing on just taking care of myself. Thankfully the husband went out and did the shopping.

So I am very grateful to feel well enough to be cooking up a storm today, and that I will be able to spend the day with my family.

We are cooking the turkey and some of the side dishes at my house and transporting them up to the in-law's house. They are both elderly with health issues and they do better staying in their own environment so they can go off and nap if they want to and have everything they need on hand. My mother in law was disappointed that we all talked her out of cooking the turkey, but last time she tried to do so, it was a disaster. It becomes hard as they age and can't function as well as they did, but can't admit it. We tried to frame it nicely that we just wanted to help her as she has her hands full care taking her husband. She finally relented. But she is still cooking a couple of side dishes, because we know it is important for her to still feel needed.

I was reading a post over at The Therapist Mumbles yesterday and I think he has the best advice for families for the holiday. He said to "appreciate those you are with today, as everyone is doing the best they can." I know I will be thinking about that often today. Thanks, doc... and thank you to all you bloggers out there who share so much of your lives, advice, support and perspective. I have grown very, very fond of you all and I wish all of you who happen to stop by here a very Happy Thanksgiving.

5 comments:

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

That's good advice. I will try to remember it.

Happy Thanksgiving.

Forsythia said...

I can certainly relate to your in-law's desire to do things, even though they are no longer capable. Mom has been that way, insisting on doing the laundry long after she was capable of remembering how to operate the machine or add detergent. Last year at this time, she kept popping out of her room to "help." She'd park herself in the middle of the kitchen and ask a million questions, making sure that I knew what I was doing. This year, though, she is tucked in her little bed, not caring that it is Thanksgiving Day. She has her cat and her blankies, and that's all she wants. I am thankful that she is at home and I am thankful that we have gotten her into a hospice program.

KathyA said...

I'm so very glad you are feeling better and are able to enjoy this holiday. And thank you for the rec of "The Therapist Mumbles"! I visited the blog. Blessings and Happy Thanksgiving, Kathy

jAMiE said...

That is good advice, i too will try to remember it.

I hope your meal and time with your family on Thanksgiving, was meaningful and joyful..and i know i'm a few days late...but Happy Thanksgiving!

Cheryl said...

How wonderful that you were able to enjoy Thanksgiving and bring it to your in-laws. One day we will be the old ones. I will hope for the kindness of others.