Followers

Friday, November 27, 2009

Leftovers

Well, the holiday is over. It was the kind of holiday that I just wanted to get through and really could have skipped it completely. I know that sounds so awful and that doesn't mean I wasn't thankful, I was and I am. It is just hard to go through the motions when when there is so much going on.

My husband and I went and picked up the prepared dinners. We got enough food to feed an army, it was a very good deal. A 14 lb. turkey, stuffing, green beans, mashed potatoes, rolls, and two pies. He helped me get the food into my mom's house then took off to go to his parents' house.

As I was warming up the food the calls and texts started coming in from the rehab that dad wasn't doing well. It wasn't his health, but it was more his mood, feeling disoriented ,and wanting to come home. It wasn't pretty according to family members there. I couldn't leave the food and my mom was so tired. The calls and texts continued for a while until he settled down.

My husband and I texted all afternoon about updates on my dad and keeping up with each others food preparations.

After a very quiet dinner we left and took our turn to keep dad company. He was sleeping when we got there and it took a while to get him up. We visited for a while and fed him the very little he wanted to eat. I was relieved that he was relaxed and comfortable.

Then I went back and had dessert with my mom for a little while. When I left her house I stopped in to see my husband and his family. My husband was with his mom and dad and his brother, as all of his family live out of state and they had been here to visit for the wedding. So they were having a quiet holiday as well.

I was envious of my sisters who were off visiting their in-laws at big family gathering with home cooked dishes. But they did not even want to be there, they wanted to be with my mom. I wish we all could have managed to come together, but you know how it is with holidays and trying to split the time.

My husband and I will head over to mom's for leftovers tonight and visit with dad again. I am hoping to get to the gym to the therapeutic pool today. I am craving a swim. I always feel better when I get in the water and I so need to have that feeling of relief that I feel when I get in the pool.


No comments: