Followers

Saturday, November 7, 2009

Last week was hectic. On Sunday my dad had another fall and he was rushed to the ER and admitted. So that meant spending all day at the hospital while they s l o w l y took tests and finally got him settled into a room. Long day.

On Tuesday, my mother in law became very ill and she needed full time care. She is the care taker for my father in law who had just came home from rehab. There was no choice except for my husband to move in and take care of both of his parents. It is hard when both sides of elders are having a crisis! My husband's brother came down for the weekend to take a turn taking care of them so my husband got two days off.

Hopefully, my dad will be able to come home soon, and my mother in law will begin to feel better this week.

I had to work today at a resource fair. I wish I had a job that did not have occasional Saturdays and evenings. I resent giving up my personal time at this point in my life. I so need my weekends to regroup and recuperate from the week.

When I got home from work, my husband and I took a ride to our favorite fish house and had our favorite dinners. In the summer it is overflowing with people and all the outside picnic tables are full. Tonight, empty tables inside and dark and lonely outside. Summer is so over.

Tonight we watched another DVD of Curb Your Enthusiasm with Larry David. We find it a pretty funny show and since we do not have HBO we are catching up with it on Netflix. I enjoy shows more on DVD's because of no commercials and we can watch two or three in a row.

Tomorrow I will visit my dad again and also try to spend some time with my mom. I know it is hard on her when he is not at home.

Between all of the elders taking turns going to ER, admission to the hospital, and then rehab, it is all becoming so normal to me. Now I know what to expect and how long things take, so I make sure I arm myself with magazines and snacks to help pass the time waiting for the tests and doctors, etc.

I don't know how much longer both sets of parents can continue living in their homes without more support.

5 comments:

Leann said...

It's good that you've become accostomed to the ER routine. I work in one and know how long it can take to get the wheels moving.

I am sorry your folks are at the point where they need help. There are so many options available anymore. My mother is moving that direction but will give up her independence very begrudgingly I believe.

Thanks for stopping by!

Blessings
Leann

Jamie said...

I feel for you. I have been there...it is so hard, trying to take care of everything and everyone, and still maintain a life of your own. Rough, rough days. My parents are gone now, and it's certainly easier, but that leaves a really huge hole in your life. You get to where helping your parents becomes your life so when they are gone...you seem to have no life. At least, that's how it was for me. Hang in honey, it's rough. Take time for you and your husband, it's easy to forget to do that. Hugs. :)

Forsythia said...

Been there, done that, as you know. I feel great sympathy and compassion for you, your husband, siblings. This is not easy. Be sure to take the best care you can of yourself. Of course, we should do that all the time, but at times like these, it's imperative. Prayers.

KathyA said...

It's a difficult time in our lives when our parents need more and more assistance.
I don't blame you for coveting your weekends. You deserve the down time!

Cheryl said...

I've spent so much time at the hospital with both parents. We've had a many-year reprieve, thank goodness. I feel for you and your family. Carve out time for you and your husband when you can. Amazing how we get used to 'new normals'.