Followers

Saturday, November 14, 2009

Ordinary Day

Yesterday was just an ordinary day and one that I totally enjoyed. I had taken a comp day from work because I had worked on Saturday and Thursday evening, my husband was home from his parents' house for the weekend, and my son didn't have to go into work until the afternoon. It has been awhile since we were all home at once so we had a good deal of catching up to do, so we all went to lunch together. It was so nice.

After we came home from lunch, I received an e-mail from my older son. He was friended on Facebook by a former neighbor who lived next door to us when we lived at the apartment. My son was only 2 years old when we moved, so he doesn't recall the neighbor per say, but he remembers seeing pictures of him and his sister and us telling him about them. At the time, the neighbors were just little kids themselves, around 6 and 10. We haven't seen them for 28 years.

So imagine my surprise to read the email that he forwarded to us from the neighbor who is now 38 years old! He told my son that he remembered me when I was pregnant with him and when he first walked, and now nice my husband and I were to the family. He said they were talking about us the other day and wondering what happened to us. So he looked my son up on Facebook. He said it was cool to see my son as a grown up married man.

Something so small, just made my day. Those kids were so sweet and they loved coming over to play with my son who was a baby/ toddler when we lived there. They were the happiest and in the neighborhood, but didn't have kids their own age to play with.

He hoped we remembered them, so I was excited to friend him right away to tell him of course we remember them! My husband scanned a picture of him and my son from our old photo album and e-mailed it to him.

So we all friended one another and I got caught up on the last 28 years of his life from his Facebook albums. Facebook is really amazing the way it connects people. Astounding isn't it?

I seemed to get on a roll yesterday afternoon and started organizing my part time business because I had stuff all over the house from it. Starting the business in the middle of all the wedding prep wasn't the best idea, but I think I have finally made sense of everything and can devote some time to it now.

We stayed in last night because it was a cold rainy evening and just ordered Chinese food and watched the rest of the Curb Your Enthusiasm DVD.

Just a nice quiet rainy Friday night.

6 comments:

Jules said...

Ahhh the evils of Facebook, don't get me started.

Friend me the next time you stop by my blog! I'm a Facebook whore, not above begging for friends.

May the rest of your weekend be just as jolly good as the beginning!

Besious! J

KathyA said...

I am continually amazed at what a boon FB has been. People I'd wondered about for years are able to come back into my life...
And isn't a good feeling to get some organizing done?

Cheryl said...

What an uplifting post. I hope the sun is out and you're enjoying the rest of your weekend.

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

What a wonderful day. I enjoyed reading about it.

Jamie said...

It is so awesome to find old friends, and yes, Facebook can be a big help with that.

You sound good, that makes me smile.

Have a very happy new week ahead, friend. Hugs. :)

Diane Vogel Ferri said...

I have found Facebook to be a real blessing - and nothing scary! I've been in touch with old friends and neighbors too. Nice surprise!