Followers

Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Turning the corner

Looks like the elders are starting to make some progress. My dad is working hard in rehab and they feel he needs just a couple more weeks to build endurance and they believe they will have him walking with a walker by then. He doesn't seem to be bouncing back like last time though, as he has been confused some and often back in bed by late afternoon. So when I go to see him after work, he is so tired that it looked like he wasn't making progress and we thought he was giving up. It was nice to find out today that wasn't the case, and he was going to all of his sessions and giving it his all.

My husband is still at his parents' house. They are getting better as well. His mom is up after being ill in bed for a week, and she is getting stronger every day. His dad will be heading back to day care tomorrow, and hopefully they will be on their normal schedule. His brother is coming to relieve him tomorrow for a couple of days so he can come home! Maybe by next week, he can wean himself away from staying there 24/7.

I have been visiting my dad, keeping my mom company and helping out my husband with grocery shopping and some cooking. He is a great cook and has been making meals for his parents for the most part.

So it goes. We are trying to figure out what to do for Thanksgiving. We may decide to split up. He go to his parents and I go to mine and we will cook for both. It isn't convenient for either set of elders to leave their homes, so that is how I will plan to do it so that everyone gets a turkey dinner!

The other night I was very moved when I was visiting my dad. He had a new room mate who was having a terrible time and the poor man was screaming out and trying to rip off his clothes. The staff could not seem to make him comfortable. My dad wasn't in good shape that night, he was so tired and in pain and the nurse came in to give him his meds and all my dad could talk about was how sorry he felt for the man. He never complained about him at all. It made me want to cry. I didn't think I could last all night in that room with all that noise, but all my dad had was compassion for the poor soul.

6 comments:

Jamie said...

Oh my, you sure have your hands full. I think it's wonderful how well you and your husband are handling all the stress. I am praying that this will all continue to progress and that both you and your husband will get your lives back, and that your dad and inlaws can feel better and do for themselves.

Your Thanksgiving solution sounds good, although I'm sure you would rather be with your husband, too. It can be so hard with parents that need us.

Hugs, friend. You're doing good.

:)

Cheryl said...

You are such a good daughter, and your husband a good son. So compassionate. You are both inspirations.

Forsythia said...

You two are handling this so well, with love and humor. So sweet of your dad to feel kindness toward the noisy stranger. Obviously, kindness to others runs in the family.

KathyA said...

Not much of a surprise about your father's reaction. That acorn hasn't fallen far from the tree. Blessings.

Jamie said...

Hope your weekend is as peaceful as it can be.

:)

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

I'm glad there seems to be some progress. Your story about your dad is so sweet.

I hope the Thanksgiving plans work out better than you anticipate.