Followers

Sunday, July 17, 2011

Crash

The night before my infusion my mother in law was in a serious car accident. She broke 4 ribs and is very bruised and banged up from the incident. Her car was totaled and she suffered some pretty serious leg wounds as well. She is all settled into rehab now, so she is on the road to recovery, but it has been a very stressful few days. 

Because my husband had to deal with her car and insurance and taking care of her, he was not available to come with me for my chemotherapy. He just could not divide himself in the middle and be there for both of us. Fortunately, my older son put in for time off from work as soon as he heard that I had no one to bring me to chemo. I loved it that I didn't have to ask him to do that. I was grateful he lives close enough to be able to help out with such short notice.

I can't remember the last time I had 8 hours of one on one time with my older son. He was really great company for me. I brought my iPad and he showed me how to download applications and I purchased books from a gift card he gave me for Mother's Day and I had not used yet! We never have the time to sit and do stuff like that. We talked up a storm and just enjoyed one each other's company. 

He was a little nervous about what the treatment room would be like. He thought it might be a depressing and bleak place, but he was pleasantly surprised how upbeat it was and how friendly everyone was. It wasn't what he expected and it was good for him to see. He liked that the nurses were taking good care of me and always asking how I was feeling. 

My treatments take so long because again I had some hot flashes and they stop the treatment and cool me down and start them up again. These flashes could be reactions to the meds, but I don't think they are. The nurse has to take the proper precautions, so I just let her do her job. I guess I will just expect to be the last person leaving every time!

I was feeling so badly for my husband with trying to help out his mom with his dad with Alzheimer and now her needing such attention and he still has me! His mom is 90 years old and this accident was a wake up call to her to stop driving! So now he will have to try to hook her up to services to get her grocery shopping, church, etc. And also do his fair share of driving her around. She is very active for her age, but I know that may change now that she has had this set back with the accident.

We need to get them into one assisted living situation and I wish I was in the condition to help him. His siblings are not local and don't make it out here to get much done. 

For now we can't do anything but allow my mother in law to get well in rehab and then try to help her make some big decisions when she comes home. This stuff is never easy, but there is always a way to make it work. It is a matter of finding  the right plan and having the time and cooperation of the rest of the family. I have a feeling this time around is going to be very interesting.

4 comments:

Maria said...

Hi Lena~So sorry to hear about your mom-in-law. It is so tough to care for our elders when we ourselves seem to need help too. Never an easy time. Looking on the bright side~at least you got to spend a whole day with your son. A blessing in disguise. Hope your treatments are going well & are not too harsh. Just try to keep focused on coming out on the other side. Prayers are with you.
Maria

Jamie said...

Well holy cow darlin ---- so much for all of you to handle. I am so sorry, and I would love to be there to take you to any of your chemo treatments...but I am very happy that your son was there to help you, how special it would be to have all that time together! I am sorry about your MIL --- but goodness, she sounds like she is in great physical shape to be driving and getting around in the first place at her age...wow. It is so hard when parents have to be told to stop doing things...will she agree that she has to quit driving or will she argue the fact?

All in all, I have to say you are standing up to every bit of it with such grace and strength, it amazes me. What would leave me crumpled in the corner, apparently you manage to take in stride. Way to go, friend.

Hang in. Have a wonderful week. Keep up the awesome work! and, hugs. Always, hugs. :)

Forsythia said...

So sorry to hear that it took such a nasty wake-up call to get your mother-in-law to stop driving. Poor lady. Hope she isn't in too much pain and that her rehab goes well. Old age is no picnic, even for those lucky enough to be active.

Even so, there was a silver lining in that cloud. How many moms get 8 hours one-on-one with a grown son or daughter?

KathyA said...

There is a blessing even in this as you got to spend time with your son!

So sorry about the accident and hope your MIL heals quickly. Still driving at 90! Good heavens! We were just talking about this the other night. Was anyone else hurt?