Followers

Sunday, July 24, 2011

Weekend update

On Friday my mother in law had her 90th birthday party. It wasn't at any fancy restaurant like we had planned but considering what she had been through with her accident she was lucky to be alive. We brought her favorite sword fish dinner from a local restaurant and cake to a dining room at the rehab center and she had all of her children and a couple of her grandchildren with her. 

Because I have been undergoing chemo, I have been staying away from hospitals and rehab centers so that I could stay as healthy as possible. My oncology nurse thought it was fine for me to attend the birthday party though. She said as long as I stayed out of patients rooms and went straight into the dining room and practiced good hand washing that I should be fine. It is important to be a part of family functions especially a milestone birthday.

So it all turned out just fine. She was surprised that I was able to come and she so enjoyed her dinner and the company of her family. I was happy to finally see her and thought that she was doing very well with her recovery. She will stay at rehab a while longer, but she is just fine with that. She is one strong woman and I  don't believe this accident will set her back too much. At least that is how it looks now.

Saturday night we took my mom out for dinner and a stop at the cemetery on the way home.

So that was our weekend. Hanging out with the elders. I know it made them happy to have our company so we were pleased to do it!

3 comments:

Maria said...

Sounds like a lovely weekend. Glad you were able to enjoy the big birthday.
I do alot of hanging out with the elders, too. My two aunts (my mother's sisters) live a half block away from me & since I'm not working full time at the moment I get to take them to all of their doctor's appts, grocery shopping, hair cuts...not really a problem because I love being with them but sometimes it does feel like just another task on an already l o n g
to-do list.
Most important~do everything you can for yourself these days. Your health should be the priority.
Take care!

Cheryl said...

I'm so glad her birthday dinner happened and you were able to be there. 90, wow! That's a blessing.

Forsythia said...

I know the elders enjoyed your visits. Now that Mom is gone, I remember how a simple question--such as, "Were you scared on your first day of teaching school?"--would be all it took to open the floodgates.