Followers

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Packing time is coming

We had a nice vacation. I rested a lot! I think it helped because I have much more energy this week. I feel great as I am on the upswing, but I am  heading into round 3 on Thursday. How the hell did that come around so fast? So to get ready for chemo I went for a massage today. I was pretty loose which impressed me, but it was probably from my very restful vacation.  I wanted to be as relaxed as possible heading into the next round.

 Everyone at the hospital has a comment about how much stuff we bring with us on chemo day.  I pack up my own fleece blanket and sleep mask. I figure I deserve my comforts from home on such a long day. I am usually there 7 and 1/2 hours. It is very cold in the treatment room, so I also have a shawl I bring. Then I pack a bag with my IPOD and iPad along with books and magazines. I always carry a note book for notes that I want to take if I have any dreams if I fall asleep or if the nurses or patients tell me anything new I need to know. Then my husband has his bag with his electronics and newspaper. And we bring in a small cooler with lunch and snacks! So we walk in loaded down. LOL

I also take my shoes off when ever they weigh me. I wear orthotics in my shoes and they weigh one pound each. That is 2 extra pounds that I think they do not need to figure in to mix my chemo since it is based on weight. Does the 2 lbs make a bit of difference? I don't know, but it might, so I take off the shoes. Another patient  was sitting there when I was getting weighed and she says, "Oh my goodness, she takes her shoes off," and starts laughing like I wasn't even there! So I spoke up and told her why and she was surprised that I said anything to her and stopped laughing and just very seriously said, "Oh."

Everyone is so busy judging...lol.




3 comments:

Maria said...

Hi Lena,

So glad to hear you had a restful vacation. The header photo is absolutely beautiful.
I remember when I was taking my Mom to dialysis 3 days a week & packing everything but the kitchen sink..lol. It was important for her to feel close to home while going through the grueling treatment. I remember packing her word search books, glasses, crackers, water, tissues, sweater, sometimes lunch, pictures of my neices (my nephews weren't born yet), a portable clock...I myself do not pack lightly although I am trying to be better about this. Being as home is where I almost always want to be, I make sure to take a small part of it with me whenever I go away.
Whew! That was a bit long-winded.
Sorry.
Again, prayers are with you. Hope everything goes smoothly with the next treatment. Stay strong & be kind to yourself.
Hugs,
Maria

Forsythia said...

Glad you spoke up to the busybody.

Seven-and-a-half hours sounds like forever. Of course you need all those things!

I am so unbelievably busy these days that I have hardly any time to blog, but I like to keep us with the blogs of my friends.

KathyA said...

I always take my shoes off when I get weighed -- and everyone I've ever seen get weighed does the same thing. Where in the hell has this woman been???

You SHOULD take all your comforts with you and I bet it looks cute when you two are moving in.

Wow -- the time has gone fast! Amazing!! You're super woman!!