Followers

Monday, August 1, 2011

Sing a song

My husband and I decided at the last  minute to take the weekend and go to Vermont. We love going up there and decided while all the elders were stable, it was a good weekend to get away. 

We left right after work on Friday. Saturday and Sunday were just perfect weather days and it was so awesome to be up there. On Saturday afternoon we went to see a play called "Souvenir." It was the story of Florence Foster Jenkins. It was a very funny and poignant play and my husband and I both enjoyed it so much!
Here is the YouTube of the real Jenkins: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBOuRlgoU2A&feature=related  She was a woman of wealth who was convinced she was a great singer. She sure wasn't, but developed a following anyway. She had her passion for singing and somehow what she heard herself sing was not what the public heard.
She reminded me of myself in a way. I LOVE to sing, but can not carry a tune. lol - I found myself thinking during the play that I wish I was like her and didn't know I sound awful. She got so much joy singing to her friends and even went to Carnegie Hall. But the audiences were not kind at Carnegie and that was her last concert because she died a month later. Some say she died of a  broken heart, but others dispute it. 
But oh, she had 12 years of singing her heart out and she made people happy even if it was not in the way she intended.
There were only 2 cast members. The piano player and the actress who played Jenkins. They were both fantastic! We saw the play at Weston Theater Other Place at the Rod and Gun Club. A very small (75 seats maybe) theater. We sat in the front row so that made it even more exciting! 
The next morning we went to breakfast and saw the actors in the restaurant so I had a chance to tell them both how great they were and how much we enjoyed the show! 
So if the play ever comes to your area, check it out!

4 comments:

Maria said...

Sounds like a great weekend Lena.
The play sounds intriguing. I'm going to check out the link. Hope you're feeling strong. Have a great week.

Maria said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Forsythia said...

Ai yi! We had a man in our choir like that. He fancied himself a soloist and chose difficult pieces. It was not easy to listen to his off-key bellowing, Of course,he always expected compliments.

The play sounds like it was very good. I like those small theaters.

Cheryl said...

Sounds like a great get-away!

I loved your porch comment, btw. I'm really glad my sister is buying my parents house so I can still visit. I'll have to try their porch.