Followers

Saturday, July 19, 2008

Dancing queen

When ever there is a hot and humid day, I like to go to the movies to stay cool. This weekend I decided to see Mama Mia! The husband and I went to the same movie complex, but he went to see Batman. I have no desire to see Batman as the Joker has always scared me and I knew this Joker would be too disturbing.

I enjoyed Mama Mia! a quite a bit. The music, the scenery, the cast, it was all great. At the end of the movie the whole audience aplauded. I wanted to see a fun movie that was uplifting and it delivered.

Meryl Streep had a scene where she was jumping on the bed and actually did a split in mid-air. I was reminded how as a kid I LOVED jumping on the bed. My sister and I would jump on the beds and my mom would yell at us to stop. I was remembering how free it felt to jump like that and was thinking how now I would probably kill myself trying to do that. Not that I could even try with my knee the way it is.

I was loving the dancing scenes and feeling sad that I can no longer move like that. I have been having a bout of vertigo this week and watching Meryl swing her head all around without getting dizzy was making me jealous.

Only normal to miss doing what you used to be able to do, I guess. And I am so grateful for the things I can still do.

But, boy oh boy, I would enjoy jumping on the bed once again.










4 comments:

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

I'm sorry you're feeling sad about your limitations. It's one of the most troublesome aspects of aging, I think.

But I'm glad you enjoyed your movie.

Cheryl said...

Sounds like my kind of movie. I love to be entertained!

Can beds really be broken from jumping on them? I wasn't allowed to jump and I didn't allow my daughter to either. Maybe that's why she's acting out now? I was too controlling? I didn't let her jump on trampolines either. Thought she might break her neck. Hmmm....

Lena said...

Cheryl-

Beds probably can be broken from jumping on them, that is why my mom probably yelled at us to stop. LoL. But we never did break them.
We were little when we did it.

I don't think we ever had access to a trampoline. Now a days lots of people have them in their back yards. They are a hazard, so you were being cautious.

Diane Vogel Ferri said...

I'm anxious to see the movie too. I noticed at the beach last week that all the adults play in the waves pretty much the same way we did as kids!