Followers

Monday, July 7, 2008

Spent yesterday in P-town. Besides the great crafts, art work, stores, and restaurants, it is most enjoyable to people watch. Here is Ms. Ellie. Ms. Ellie is a 76 year old man... living his dream. He has a beautiful voice and is very entertaining and a pleasant soul. He has a copy of his bio that he hands out to folks; seems he has always known he was a woman trapped inside a man's body, but tried to live the life everyone else expected of him, marrying and divorcing four times.

A few years ago, he decided to pursue his dream to sing and be who he feels he is on the inside.

I sat for awhile yesterday listening to Ms. Ellie, formerly Elliot perform. He/She has sort of a Frank Sinatra kind of voice and sings all the old ballads that I grew up listening to in my parents' home. He makes people smile and laugh, sometimes they are laughing at him/her, and sometimes smiling from the memories that the songs bring to mind. Ms. Ellie could care less that people are laughing at her/him, he just keeps on singing and posing for the cameras.

At one point a couple jumped up and danced to while Ellie was singing "I Could Have Danced All Night." They were happy to be dancing around on a summer evening and the rest of us were happy to watch them and applaud when they finished. Ms. Ellie's was beaming because she was thrilled that the music brought them to their feet to break out in dance. The crowd loved their spontaneity.

I love P-Town... people are comfortable to be just who they are and everyone accepts everyone else. No harm done, it is summer in P-town and all types of families come together to celebrate the season and true diversity.




6 comments:

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

Bless his heart. I'm glad he found such freedom in later life.

The Real Mother Hen said...

And bravo to you for not laughing at him/her, instead appreciated his/her musical talent.
The world needs people who appreciate, not judge.

Cheryl said...

I was in P-town once, years ago, and loved everything about it! I wish the Cape weren't a 9-10 hour drive from here. One of my clients is up there for the summer and I have an open invitation, but no time. I hope you have a great vacation!

mosiacmind said...

I am glad that you had a good day. I have never visited P - town but would like to visit it sometime. It sounds like you had a really nice time. Did you go shopping and buy any art that you saw there? I hope that your week is going good.

Diane Vogel Ferri said...

I do believe that some people are born in the wrong body sometimes - if we could all be so sure of who we are! She has nice legs!

Forsythia said...

Bravo to Ms. Ellie for doing it "her way."