Followers

Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Best wishes to me

Today was my last radiation treatment! 33 treatments over 7 weeks. When I sat up on the table after the last treatment, the balloon above was waiting for me anchored by a little bag with a blessing stone.  The technicians and the nurse hugged me, and I cried. They gave me their best wishes for a happier and healthier new year.

I think it always startles people when I cry because they always ask why am I crying? Same thing happened the last day of chemo. Both times I said that I was relieved that it was over and that satisfies them.But I think for me it is more than that. I am crying for everything. Crying that I had cancer, crying over the treatment, crying because of everything that is associated with cancer and how it has changed my day to day life.And relieved that I got through another phase.

It surprises me that people don't realize that, but I guess you wouldn't if you have never been through it or are not much of a crier. I am a crier and I am OK with it. 

My skin is a mess. I have open wounds that are raw and stinging me every second of the day. I am still going to need to stick to the regime of creams and ban on certain products until my skin heals. When my skin heals, then I will feel like I am done!

But there is no grass growing under my feet. I will be back at the hospital tomorrow for my Herceptin drip. Every three weeks until the end of May. And then there is hormone therapy. I still have a long way to go. The technicians asked if I was going out to celebrate.No, I am not celebrating. Don't get me wrong, I am so happy that it is all done and over with, but for some reason it is sort of anti-climatic. I still have lots of treatment to go, so I will wait until that last treatment of Herceptin and then it will be party time!

4 comments:

KathyA said...

I had the exact same reaction -- I cried and had no idea why -- there was so much to cry about!

But, BRAVA!! on the completion of this part of your treatment.

And I think you celebrate each day you get up with that wonderful attitude of yours!

Forsythia said...

Wow, that's great!! So happy for you that you've had your last radiation treatment.

Maria said...

Oh, Lena...I wish I could give you a big hug! You've been through so much & have handled it all with such grace & courage. Best Wishes doesn't come close to saying what I'm feeling. I'm sure you're ready to welcome the new year with open arms. Here's hoping it's all sunshine & roses from here on out. Praying for your healing & wishing you the best holiday ever!

Lena said...
This comment has been removed by the author.