Followers

Friday, April 4, 2008

Glasses, blood and embarassment

I had such a weird experience today at Linen and Things. I was browsing around the store and stopped to look at some glassware that was 60% off. Well, I didn't really need them, but it was a good deal, and I can always make use of extra glasses. So I began to take a closer look at them by opening the box and taking a couple out as there were 2 different sizes in the box.


I couldn't go wrong $7.99 for a box of 24 glasses, even though I don't have extra storage space. So I was debating if I should get them and before I knew it, oops... I dropped one of the glasses and it hit the floor and broke. I have never broken anything in a store before. As I watched the glass fall out of my hand, it was like I was watching it in slow motion and I could not believe it was going to fall and break.


The sales clerk came right over and helped me pick it up and I apologized. I said I was thinking of buying them anyways, so now I would. He was kind and went to look to see if there was an extra glass in the display case, but there wasn't. That was fine by me, after all...You break it... you buy it.... right?


Then I notice I am bleeding, so I ask for a band aide and he goes to get me one. Before I know it I am bleeding alot and it is getting on the box and on the floor. Now, I am starting to think that this is sort of embarrassing, but I didn't over react because what could I do?


So he came back with a band aide and I cleaned up the floor and the box and now there was no turning back from buying them since the box was now filled with my DNA.


I pay for them and take them to the car. When I pick up the box to put into my car, I realized the bottom of the box is not sealed and and all the glasses begin to fall out of the bottom of the box. So I put the box back down in the carriage and I slowly and carefully try to pull them out one by one. At first I thought I needed some help, or even tape, but there was no way I was going back into the store. Then I realized I had a box top in the back seat of my car, so I carefully laid them in there. When the box got empty enough, I was able to flip it over with the rest of the glasses (could have been a disaster) and put the box in the back seat.


As I was driving home I could hear the glasses clanking against each other in the box top. I was thinking that I never made a purchase that caused so many problems in my life.


When I got home I found that I had only broken one more glass. Not sure if it broke when the glasses fell out of the bottom of the box, or from clanking against one another in the box top.


Got them up to the kitchen and in the dishwasher without incident. So, I got a deal on some glasses, broke 2 of them before I got home, suffered a minor injury, and didn't curse once!




4 comments:

Diane Vogel Ferri said...

The not cursing once is quite an achievement! I am always puzzled why those things have to happen at all. I guess so we appreciate the days that it doesn't.

mosiacmind said...

What a day for you! I am glad that your cut was not deep...even thought it was sure a mess buying and getting them to your home what a great deal! I hope that you have a great weekend.

Moohaa said...

Oh my goodness! What an afternoon! I am glad you aren't hurt worse, glass cuts can be bad. Well, enjoy your glasses and just think, anytime someone uses them, you can tell them a story!

Cheryl said...

That's quite a glass story. I was just thinking yesterday as I unloaded the dishwasher that I really need new glasses. I'm sure I'll be thinking of you and this story! Still a bargain, especially with the memory you made.