Followers

Saturday, May 17, 2008

This and that

I took my mom to get multiple teeth pulled out the other day. Her teeth were no longer healthy as a result of the radiation she had a few years back. I spent the afternoon with her going back and forth between calling her doctors to deal with some complications that came up and finally left her early evening as she seemed to be doing better.

Later that evening she called in agony and I instructed her to call the emergency number given to us by the doctor. Long story, but she is doing much better today. It is hard as my folks get older and we are all trying to help them manage their health issues without controlling them and making them feel like children. It is a balancing act on our part. There were times the other day that I wanted to be in complete control and boss her around like she was a child, just so it would be easier on me. That is a horrible thing to say, and I say it here hoping that there are others who have been in the same boat and understand that feeling.

Of course I didn't boss her around. I tried my best to just assist her when she needed it and hold my tongue if she wasn't exactly following doctor's orders. It all worked out, but man was I tired when I got home.

Last night my friend and I had our marathon dinner at Friendly's where we sit all night to vent and laugh. It was a great stress reliever. On the way home I ended up in a DWI check point. That never happened to me before so I was a little apprehensive when I saw all the cars being stopped and directed off of the highway.

When my car got up to the first officer, he poked his head in the window and told me it was a DWI check point and asked if I had any drinks that evening. Thankfully, I could say NO! Then I was waved on to continue through the line. I don't drink, but I have this fear that I will be stopped at a random check point, pulled out of the car and be asked to recite the alphabet backwards. For the life of me, I can't recite the alphabet backwards! I thought my time had come last night, but they let me go... thank goodness!

4 comments:

mosiacmind said...

Hi...I hope that you are having a good weekend. I was thinking of my friend S who now when we get together since it is few and far between with as busy as she is...we can sit at a place to eat or get coffee and talk for hours. I hope that the rest of your weekend is good. I am sorry that I have not been keeping up with some of the blogs that I read..

Diane Vogel Ferri said...

I know what you mean about not making them feel like children. My dad sometimes trips or falls and I always bring up how many times I do the same thing. It's awkward though.

Forsythia said...

I feel for your mother and hope she's feeling better. Tooth trouble is no fun. Sometimes it's darn hard not to treat them like children. They get funny, and firmly-fixed, ideas about things.

Forsythia said...
This comment has been removed by the author.