Followers

Sunday, January 18, 2009

Wake up call

I had misplaced some mail I received a few days ago, could have even been last week, not sure. I had seen what looked like a belated Christmas card in the pile when I put it down, but I was busy, so I didn't open it right away and then forgot all about it.

On my way out the door last night, I saw the card sticking out from beneath the small pile of forgotten mail and decided to open it on my way out the door. Expecting a cheery Christmas update from my friend, I was shocked to hear that she has been battling two cancers. Two. Larynx and breast cancer.

This friend is someone I used to supervise 10 years ago on my other job. We became close and I knew her husband and children very well. Once I left my job, we exchanged Christmas cards, and she always asked me to call her so we could get together. I never did. Never, not once in 10 years. It wasn't that I didn't want to see her, I would have loved to. I just got caught up in my own little world and didn't extend myself beyond that. I am ashamed of myself for being so self absorbed.

In a way, I can't even believe that 10 years has gone by. It seems impossible to me, yet it is the reality and I am having trouble grasping it.

I am so sad for her and will certainly be in touch with her now, and hope that she is well enough to have visitors and that she would want to see me. She said she is counting her blessings every day and that she has a good support system from her church that is keeping her going.

Please add Kathy to your prayers.




3 comments:

KathyA said...

I'll pray for her. Don't beat yourself up about getting involved with your own life. The phone lines go both ways.

Cheryl said...

It's never too late to be in touch. I'm so sorry for your friend. I hope she's a fighter.

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

I'm sorry I didn't comment before this. I did catch site of this post before church yesterday and I prayed for your friend in the service.