Followers

Thursday, January 1, 2009

A brand new year

Happy New Year to everyone!

Last night we stayed in for a quiet evening. We watched Momma Mia, baked cookies (to give to the neighbor who snow blowed our driveway), and watched the ball fall at Times Square. I ended staying up another hour watching a Kathy Griffin special on Bravo. She just cracks me up.

I was amazed yesterday that I didn't need to take any pain med. While my mouth is still very swollen and painful, I could manage fine without anything.

We are going to dinner today at my parent's house and we also need to go and see the father in law at the nursing home rehab center which is across town from them. So this will be a visit the elders day which I know will perk them all up!

Now that the holidays are over, we can concentrate more on the upcoming wedding that is happening in October for my older son. I am trying to find just the "right" mother/son song to dance to with him. I have seen all the lists, and watched all the u-tubes, but still can't find one that we like and will be meaningful to us. I know I still have plenty of time and it is the searching that is fun.

Next week I am starting eye training. Since I have had so many bouts with vertigo, my eye doctor suggested that eye training exercises would be helpful. Vertigo comes on when the eyes and ears aren't working together. I have 12 weeks of appointments and plan to really be committed to this even though I have to drive out of town. I would love to get a handle on this problem, because the spells are not fun.

I am a big believer in eye training because my younger son went through it in high school and it changed his life. He had trouble reading and playing sports because one eye did not focus. After about 10 lessons his eye straightened out and he improved in all areas.
I hope everyone has a great day today and thank you for reading my blog, because I so enjoy your friendships.


4 comments:

KathyA said...

Finding an appropriate song sounds like fun. I'm sitting here thinking--"You are my child" by Barry Manilow and a song by Elton John (I think) about being blessed come to mind. Look through Elton John's stuff. They're both really beautiful.
The eye training sounds interesting and familiar somehow. I think I must have done some reading on it at one time or another.
I'm glad your mouth isn't causing great discomfort.

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

When I danced with my dad at my wedding, we used "Sunrise / Sunset" from Fiddler on the Roof.

Here are part of the lyrics:

(Tevye)
Is this the little girl I carried?
Is this the little boy at play?

(Golde)
I don't remember growing older
When did they?

(Tevye)
When did she get to be a beauty?
When did he grow to be so tall?

(Golde)
Wasn't it yesterday
When they were small?

(Men)
Sunrise, sunset
Sunrise, sunset
Swiftly flow the days
Seedlings turn overnight to sunflowers
Blossoming even as we gaze

(Women)
Sunrise, sunset
Sunrise, sunset
Swiftly fly the years
One season following another
Laden with happiness and tears

(Tevye)
What words of wisdom can I give them?
How can I help to ease their way?

(Golde)
Now they must learn from one another
Day by day

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

P.S. That's probably too outdated for someone from today's generation. Still, I thought I'd mention it . . .

jAMiE said...

I love Kathy Griffin too..for the same reason...apparently she co-hosted a New Years eve show with Anderson Cooper on CNN...i missed it, darn!

I hope you enjoy dinner at your parents.